Skip to main content

Meditation for Stress Relief


As made obvious by the name of my blog and most of my posts, I'm all for natural methods for resolving any/all illnesses and diseases that we may come across in life. Originally that was due to my lack of health insurance = No insurance mean no meds. But I can't just go throughout life without some sort of treatment. Without some sort of treatment, I'd be in so much pain I couldn't move, crying uncontrollably, and probably begging myself to commit suicide. Yes, it's that serious (although besides my husband, no one in my family believes that my problems are serious enough to justify contemplations of suicide)

After years of researching natural treatments for all my problems - bipolar disorder, depression, PCOS, rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia - it occurred to me that natural methods have to be better for you than modern, Western treatments. Our bodies weren't meant to be pumped full of man-made chemical concoctions. The prescription anti-cancer meds I am currently on for my RA have very specific dosage instructions. I'm only supposed to take it once a week, because if I took it daily, IT COULD KILL ME. The daily naproxen regimen has increased my ability to bruise. Now I consistently have 5-10 unexplained bruises in random places on my body. Certain medications for depression can increase the likelyhood of suicide. "Here, take these so you stop thinking about suicide - but be careful, because if they don't work well for you, you might be more likely to commit suicide." WTF? Why would I want to take something like that?

My husband told me last night that he didn't want to do see a doc about depression (I think he is depressed because of his male factor infertility) because he didn't want to take any pills. I don't blame him. He said that there's a pill for everything nowadays, and the world isn't getting any better. And he's right. If medications worked so well, there wouldn't be a new surge of interest in natural and holistic treatments, dietary modifications, etc.

Several months ago I watched a show about transcendental meditation. I was intrigued because it had so much science to back it up. I've always been interested in meditation, but I've never been able to shut my brain off. I've tried visualization techniques, quiet rooms and comfortable chairs, etc. Nothing has every worked for me. I know I probably haven't tried hard enough, because I usually get frustrated and give up. During the show, they talked about Vedic City, Iowa - a city that incorporates TM into everyday life. The crime rates were ridiculously low. All the students had good grades. Everyone was happy. What I wouldn't give to be blissfully happy, if even for a day. So I'm going to an intro session about TM tonight. I've been wanting to go for several months now, but I'm learning that I can't plan to go somewhere in advance. I have to just do it. I don't know what I'm going to feel like from day to day. So spontenaity is my savior at the moment. If I want to do something, I have to do it right then, or else it won't happen. This morning I had no plans to do anything after work. Now I'm going to be driving 45 min across the metroplex to learn more about TM.

This decision is in line with the latest diagnosis of fibromyalgia. The rheumy told me that I needed to start sleeping better and reduce my stress levels considerably. So that's my fuel for now. I also stopped by Massage Envy last week to find out if they have any therapists with fibro experience. There are two at the location I chose, and the monthly membership is ridiculously cheap! So I told hubby that when I get paid next month, I'm going to invest in a membership to Massage Envy. (I also told him he'd have to get over the fact that the two therapists with the right experience are... Men. He doesn't care, which is awesome.) My gift to myself, to get better.

I'll write later about how the intro session goes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food Allergy Test Results

I was in for a surprise when I got my food allergy test results this past Wednesday. For the few days prior, my thoughts were wrought with fear that I may be allergic to garlic or nuts. I even started designing my garlic and nut super-villain tattoos. Thankfully those weren't on my list. The shock came with the 29 other items on my list! Moderate allergies Baker’s and brewer's yeast Pineapple Vanilla White mushroom Sensitivities Broccoli Buttermilk Carrots Casein Celery Cilantro Cinnamon Cod Dates Iceberg lettuce Kiwi Lamb Millet Onion Oregano Parsley Plum Potato Raspberry Rosemary Sage Strawberry Swiss cheese Turkey I was upset to see so many yummy foods on the list, including my go-to meat, turkey, and some of my usual spices. I was glad to see celery and onions, though. I’ve detested them for years and I always get laughed at for hating onions. Now I have a legitimate reason for hating them! I can live with this list. Well, I

What's Your Song? Thursday - Aug 18, 2011

Stressed out this week. Busy and exhausted. I've been singing Annie to keep myself happy. I like this video, because it's so interesting to see how Annie was cast over the years in various countries. Enjoy! Join the link-up at Amber's blog and checl out her giveaway!

What's Your Song? Thursday Link Up

This week has just been... rough. It started over the weekend. Mom and I spent a lot of time, money and effort in organizing my kitchen and cooking a ton of food. Sadly, cooking, as much as I love it, has become a major pain for me in the past couple of years, and even more so in the last 6 months. I have been dealing with a lot of back pain, and it is at the point where I cannot stand in one place for more than 10 minutes before I collapse in pain. And when I mean collapse, I'm not kidding. Knees hit the floor, tears start streaming down my face, and I lean on the object closest to me, hoping that the waves of pain along my spine will go away. Doctors have no idea what's wrong, x-rays don't show any problems, and the chiropractor claimed I had 4 pinched ligaments, but I can't afford to go to him twice a week to get adjustments (especially when the last time I went, I was in pain for a week afterwards). I did a lot of cooking while sitting down this weekend to ease the