Skip to main content

Cortisol and Leptin...

Photo credit
I feel so run down. I felt like this most of last week, and ended up taking 3 days off work due to it. This weekend was better - We went to Houston. We spent several hours enjoying the Downtown Aquarium on Saturday, and I enjoyed my PCOS symposium on Sunday. But as soon as I got in the car to head home, this feeling came back. It was so bad that I tossed my cookies less than an hour after we got on the road. This was definitely not from being car sick. I don't get car sick. I was tired all evening, had stupid issues with my homework, and finally went to be at 2-2:30. I realize that was late, and it could explain why I'm tired, but it doesn't explain the run-down, crappy feeling. I got plenty of sleep last week and still felt this way. I think it could be a cortisol issue. I have high cortisol levels. I know I haven't checked with a doctor, but from the information I received at the PCOS symposium, as well as years of research, it fits. I did some more research, and it seems as though the large 'buffalo hump' on my upper back - the one I've had for over a decade, as well as my fat, puffy face, are usually caused by high levels of cortisol. I've known this for a few years, but it requires a doctor to test for cortisol levels, and then, if I have had such high levels for so long, it's probably caused by Cushing's Disease. But... I have to go to a doctor. And if it is Cushing's, it will require surgery to remove a tumor on my pituitary gland, adrenal glands, lungs, or pancreas. Definitely need insurance before I do that, so I can't get tested yet or the ins. company will call it a pre-existing condition.

I also likely have Leptin resistance, because it goes hand-in-hand with insulin resistance and off-kilter cortisol levels. Leptin is the protein secreted by your stored fat cells to tell your brain you aren't hungry anymore. In order to deal with the Leptin resistance, there is an intense, 21-day meat and veggie diet I can do. It's uber-restrictive, and I really don't think I could stick to it. As long as I feel this bad, keeping myself motivated to stay on track is just... impossible.

I realize that I could be making a mountain out of a molehill, but when you don't have access to a doctor, it happens. I am at a point where I want to quit my job so I can spend some time on me. With grad school, work and my family, there isn't much room in the schedule for 'me' time. My exercise time is not my 'me' time. I hate exercise, and it definitely doesn't relax me. I just do it because I have to. The weekends don't give me any time to relax, because I'm always busy doing something. Even just a month or two off work would probably do wonders for me. But Life says no. Ugh... I guess I'm used to it.

Ok, rant over.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food Allergy Test Results

I was in for a surprise when I got my food allergy test results this past Wednesday. For the few days prior, my thoughts were wrought with fear that I may be allergic to garlic or nuts. I even started designing my garlic and nut super-villain tattoos. Thankfully those weren't on my list. The shock came with the 29 other items on my list! Moderate allergies Baker’s and brewer's yeast Pineapple Vanilla White mushroom Sensitivities Broccoli Buttermilk Carrots Casein Celery Cilantro Cinnamon Cod Dates Iceberg lettuce Kiwi Lamb Millet Onion Oregano Parsley Plum Potato Raspberry Rosemary Sage Strawberry Swiss cheese Turkey I was upset to see so many yummy foods on the list, including my go-to meat, turkey, and some of my usual spices. I was glad to see celery and onions, though. I’ve detested them for years and I always get laughed at for hating onions. Now I have a legitimate reason for hating them! I can live with this list. Well, I

What's Your Song? Thursday - Aug 18, 2011

Stressed out this week. Busy and exhausted. I've been singing Annie to keep myself happy. I like this video, because it's so interesting to see how Annie was cast over the years in various countries. Enjoy! Join the link-up at Amber's blog and checl out her giveaway!

What's Your Song? Thursday Link Up

This week has just been... rough. It started over the weekend. Mom and I spent a lot of time, money and effort in organizing my kitchen and cooking a ton of food. Sadly, cooking, as much as I love it, has become a major pain for me in the past couple of years, and even more so in the last 6 months. I have been dealing with a lot of back pain, and it is at the point where I cannot stand in one place for more than 10 minutes before I collapse in pain. And when I mean collapse, I'm not kidding. Knees hit the floor, tears start streaming down my face, and I lean on the object closest to me, hoping that the waves of pain along my spine will go away. Doctors have no idea what's wrong, x-rays don't show any problems, and the chiropractor claimed I had 4 pinched ligaments, but I can't afford to go to him twice a week to get adjustments (especially when the last time I went, I was in pain for a week afterwards). I did a lot of cooking while sitting down this weekend to ease the