Skip to main content

Trying something radically different food wise....

I'm in a couple of vegan groups on Facebook. They have really helped me out while getting over the hurdles of eating animal products. One of the groups is a weight loss group ran by some nurses. I love this group, because everyone is so nice, and shares lots of recipes and tips. It was here that I was introduced to the McDougall Plan, devised by Dr. John McDougall. Most people are very used to me preaching that certain carbs are bad for people with PCOS and diabetes, like rice, potatoes, corn... I have always said to stay away from white potatoes and corn altogether, and use a limited amount of brown rice. This has been due to all the research stating that these types of carbs would increase blood sugar and just mess you up. But.... The McDougall plan has shown great promise over the last several decades, helping people with severe auto-immune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia reverse their symptoms completely. This goes for diabetes as well. But why am I talking about this? Because the McDougall plan puts those starchy foods at the forefront of your meal. Every meal has a base of potato, rice, quinoa, pasta, and lots of veggies to go with it. The big catch is the complete elimination of oil. No cooking with it, no salad dressings with it, no oil whatsoever. I use oil a lot, so the thought of relearning how to cook some of my favorite dishes sounded a little excessive. But after reading the results and success of others, getting first-hand accounts from people in the group, and reading the research, I'm willing to try it out. I also checked out one of McDougall's latest books, The Starch Solution, at the library and have been reading it.

So I started today. I created a menu plan a few days ago and went to Sprouts to get everything I needed. I also have incorporated my monthly produce delivery box into my meal plan so I can make the most of those veggies. I haven't talked about this in my PCOS support group because it's so radically different than anything I have ever suggested or recommended before. I wanted to try this out, see if I have the same results as others, and determine if the extra carbs were going to cause me issues. My Fitness Pal has already griped at me because one meal of quinoa and veggies exceed MFP's recommended allotment of carbs. One of the big selling points of this plan personally is from past experience. A month or two ago, I was completely out of money and couldn't go to the grocery store for at least 2 weeks. So we were living off everything I still had in the house - my pantry staples, like sweet potatoes, beans and rice. I lost 12 pounds, but didn't really think about why. I figured it was because I was eating less. But the more I thought about it, I realized I was actually eating a lot more carbs than I would ever have recommended, and I lost 12 pounds! So I figured that it couldn't hurt to try. If I gain weight instead, I'll rethink it. If I gain weight, I'll cut the potatoes out again. So here's my meal plan through Christmas Day. I took my starting weight this morning - 237.2 pounds, and I'll re-weigh myself Christmas morning.

Thursday:
Breakfast - Oatmeal with almond milk and apples (will replace almond milk with rice and quinoa milk as soon as the box is empty - nuts are high in fat, and have been recommended to stay away from while aiming for maximum weight loss)
Lunch - Baked red potato, handful of kale and radicchio, grape tomatoes, cremini mushrooms and oil free coconut mango dressing (It's an organic Sprouts brand!)
Dinner - Baked potato with sloppy joe lentils and a salad

Friday:
Breakfast - Oatmeal with apples
Lunch - Leftover sloppy joe lentils and potato, salad
Dinner - Mexican quinoa with black beans, tomatoes, mushrooms, habanero peppers and *maybe* corn

Saturday:
Breakfast - Oatmeal with apples or grapefruit
Lunch - Leftover Mexican quinoa
Dinner - "Cheesy" Broccoli zucchini rice casserole - Cheese flavoring coming from nutritional yeast
Adtl Prep - Broccoli soup for pouring over rice or potatoes when I'm lazy

Sunday:
Breakfast - Oatmeal with apple or grapefruit
Lunch - Leftovers/broccoli soup
Dinner - "Fried" rice with peas, carrots, pineapple

Monday:
Breakfast - Oatmeal with apple or grapefruit
Lunch - Leftover fried rice or broccoli soup on rice/potato
Dinner - Baked potato and leftovers

Tuesday:
Breakfast - Oatmeal with apple or grapefruit
Lunch - Leftover stroganoff and salad
Dinner - Mushroom Stroganoff on quinoa or brown rice spaghetti and salad

Wednesday:
Breakfast - Oatmeal with apple or grapefruit and get potato soup in crock pot
Lunch - Leftovers
Dinner - Crock Pot potato soup with bok choy

Thursday:
Breakfast - Oatmeal with apple or grapefruit
Lunch - Potato soup
Dinner - Sweet potato and black bean enchiladas

Friday:
Breakfast - Oatmeal with apple or grapefruit
Lunch/Dinner - Whatever random thing I come up with that I can take to my Dad's for Christmas

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food Allergy Test Results

I was in for a surprise when I got my food allergy test results this past Wednesday. For the few days prior, my thoughts were wrought with fear that I may be allergic to garlic or nuts. I even started designing my garlic and nut super-villain tattoos. Thankfully those weren't on my list. The shock came with the 29 other items on my list! Moderate allergies Baker’s and brewer's yeast Pineapple Vanilla White mushroom Sensitivities Broccoli Buttermilk Carrots Casein Celery Cilantro Cinnamon Cod Dates Iceberg lettuce Kiwi Lamb Millet Onion Oregano Parsley Plum Potato Raspberry Rosemary Sage Strawberry Swiss cheese Turkey I was upset to see so many yummy foods on the list, including my go-to meat, turkey, and some of my usual spices. I was glad to see celery and onions, though. I’ve detested them for years and I always get laughed at for hating onions. Now I have a legitimate reason for hating them! I can live with this list. Well, I

What's Your Song? Thursday - Aug 18, 2011

Stressed out this week. Busy and exhausted. I've been singing Annie to keep myself happy. I like this video, because it's so interesting to see how Annie was cast over the years in various countries. Enjoy! Join the link-up at Amber's blog and checl out her giveaway!

What's Your Song? Thursday Link Up

This week has just been... rough. It started over the weekend. Mom and I spent a lot of time, money and effort in organizing my kitchen and cooking a ton of food. Sadly, cooking, as much as I love it, has become a major pain for me in the past couple of years, and even more so in the last 6 months. I have been dealing with a lot of back pain, and it is at the point where I cannot stand in one place for more than 10 minutes before I collapse in pain. And when I mean collapse, I'm not kidding. Knees hit the floor, tears start streaming down my face, and I lean on the object closest to me, hoping that the waves of pain along my spine will go away. Doctors have no idea what's wrong, x-rays don't show any problems, and the chiropractor claimed I had 4 pinched ligaments, but I can't afford to go to him twice a week to get adjustments (especially when the last time I went, I was in pain for a week afterwards). I did a lot of cooking while sitting down this weekend to ease the