Skip to main content

GFAF Expo


Hubs and I took the twin 6-yr-old nieces (Princess and Namesake) to the Gluten Free Allergen Free Expo last weekend. It's one of my favorite events of the year - mainly because it's a cheap way to try expensive products before I buy them. For example - I love Rudi's GF bread, but hate Udi's. I wasted money trying Udi's because they weren't at the expo. I just bought it to try something different.

I knew the girls would love going from table to table getting free stuff (it's like Christmas!), and Princess has a dairy allergy. I wanted to be able to get lots of coupons for their mom and find tasty treats that won't send Princess to the hospital. I can't begin to explain how happy she was to try a cheese quesadilla made with Daiya slices. Speaking of Daiya, this was the first time I've tried it. I was afraid to pay the price and hate it, so I hadn't tried any non-dairy cheese yet. And wow, that was a tasty quesadilla!!! More Daiya cheese will be making it's way to our fridge at some point.

The Dallas Morning News had a prize wheel set up. What child can resist those? Well Namesake was with Hubs, spun first and landed on a prize she was too young to get, so they let her spin again. She won a t-shirt. Princess and I got up to the table and the guy realized we had twins. As she went to spin, he jokingly said "She better not land on a t-shirt. Twins can't have the same prizes." Of course, she landed on the t-shirt as well. I was pretty happy about it, because that meant no fighting over who got what. (Thank you!!!)

They also enjoyed meeting Dr. Derek and Dr. Bekah, who run Optimized Living Institute. They are into nutrition and functional medicine, and have been very helpful in the DFW PCOS Cysters group.

Their favorite part of the event was going around to every table to pick up coupons. Their mother and I have trained them well :) When we got home, we dumped everything out on the floor and started sorting between coupons, brochures, cookies, chips, etc. My living room was covered in free stuff. They had a lot of fun, and I'm glad.

Oh, and Enjoy Life had a photo booth! >>

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food Allergy Test Results

I was in for a surprise when I got my food allergy test results this past Wednesday. For the few days prior, my thoughts were wrought with fear that I may be allergic to garlic or nuts. I even started designing my garlic and nut super-villain tattoos. Thankfully those weren't on my list. The shock came with the 29 other items on my list! Moderate allergies Baker’s and brewer's yeast Pineapple Vanilla White mushroom Sensitivities Broccoli Buttermilk Carrots Casein Celery Cilantro Cinnamon Cod Dates Iceberg lettuce Kiwi Lamb Millet Onion Oregano Parsley Plum Potato Raspberry Rosemary Sage Strawberry Swiss cheese Turkey I was upset to see so many yummy foods on the list, including my go-to meat, turkey, and some of my usual spices. I was glad to see celery and onions, though. I’ve detested them for years and I always get laughed at for hating onions. Now I have a legitimate reason for hating them! I can live with this list. Well, I

What's Your Song? Thursday - Aug 18, 2011

Stressed out this week. Busy and exhausted. I've been singing Annie to keep myself happy. I like this video, because it's so interesting to see how Annie was cast over the years in various countries. Enjoy! Join the link-up at Amber's blog and checl out her giveaway!

What's Your Song? Thursday Link Up

This week has just been... rough. It started over the weekend. Mom and I spent a lot of time, money and effort in organizing my kitchen and cooking a ton of food. Sadly, cooking, as much as I love it, has become a major pain for me in the past couple of years, and even more so in the last 6 months. I have been dealing with a lot of back pain, and it is at the point where I cannot stand in one place for more than 10 minutes before I collapse in pain. And when I mean collapse, I'm not kidding. Knees hit the floor, tears start streaming down my face, and I lean on the object closest to me, hoping that the waves of pain along my spine will go away. Doctors have no idea what's wrong, x-rays don't show any problems, and the chiropractor claimed I had 4 pinched ligaments, but I can't afford to go to him twice a week to get adjustments (especially when the last time I went, I was in pain for a week afterwards). I did a lot of cooking while sitting down this weekend to ease the