Skip to main content

It's Halloween! Woohoo!

It's been almost 3 weeks since I started making the transition to a vegetarian. I've only had meat products 3 times, which I'm pretty stoked about. I'm still working on the move to dairy-free, but I'm not rushing myself. Heck, if I can go fully vegetarian for a month, I'd be really happy.

I have a few reasons for making these changes.
1) Documentaries have shown me the results of what meat production has done to our environment, our bodies, and animals.
2) Animal protein is not the only protein. Our bodies are perfectly capable of eating plant based proteins, like soy and legumes.
3) A considerable amount of food poisoning is from under-cooked meat. Cut out meat and significantly reduce the chance of food poisoning.
4) If we can get everything our body needs from plants, why do we need to kill animals for their meat? What's the point?
5) I want to teach myself to be self-sufficient without the need to slaughter animals. I could have a huge garden with everything I need.
6) All the cholesterol we need is produced by our liver. But eating animal proteins and dairy add more cholesterol to our body. Our liver also starts producing more cholesterol if we have a high bad fat intake. Most heart disease would disappear if we stopped eating animal proteins! (Queue the minions: http://youtu.be/MfylJy_nMbM)

If I had a big following, I'm sure that what I'm about to say would cause a ruckus lol. Is vegetarian ethically bad compared to vegan? Are unfertilized chicken eggs considered animals? Is milking a goat or cow inhumane? I've always wanted to have chickens - but I don't want them for meat. I want them for eggs. I've wanted goats too, for milk and cheese. Hubs would love if he got a cow for fresh milk and butter. I even want bees! But I want the bees for garden pollination, but honey would be nice too. Hubs and I were watching Magic School Bus last night (because you are never too old for educational cartoons! Or cartoons of any sort lol) and learned more about bees. I knew the basics, but the thought of bees dying in the winter because we stole their honey makes me sad. But I need to do more research. I know that bee populations are steadily declining, and that's bad for our fruits and veggies.

I guess my question is: would I be treating my animals inhumanely if I harvested eggs and milked them? I love my zoo, and they eat better than we do. So any farm animals would be loved and cared for just as well.

Ok, I went off on a little tangent, but I think it was useful for me. Back to life updates!

I've had red and pink hair for a week now and I friggin' love it! I've never received compliments on my hair like I did on Friday. Random people in parking lots and stores were amazed at how well Lizz did the colors. It sure took a long time to do, but I'm so happy with it. 'Pinky' is Hubs' latest term of endearment for me. I haven't shown most of my family yet because I don't want to hear them complain lol.

And for the last of the updates: It's my favorite time of the year! Halloween and our anniversary! We have been dating for 7 years yesterday and married 5 years Halloween night! We are celebrating this year by going to a Slipknot and Korn concert. It's going to be awesome! I can't wait!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food Allergy Test Results

I was in for a surprise when I got my food allergy test results this past Wednesday. For the few days prior, my thoughts were wrought with fear that I may be allergic to garlic or nuts. I even started designing my garlic and nut super-villain tattoos. Thankfully those weren't on my list. The shock came with the 29 other items on my list! Moderate allergies Baker’s and brewer's yeast Pineapple Vanilla White mushroom Sensitivities Broccoli Buttermilk Carrots Casein Celery Cilantro Cinnamon Cod Dates Iceberg lettuce Kiwi Lamb Millet Onion Oregano Parsley Plum Potato Raspberry Rosemary Sage Strawberry Swiss cheese Turkey I was upset to see so many yummy foods on the list, including my go-to meat, turkey, and some of my usual spices. I was glad to see celery and onions, though. I’ve detested them for years and I always get laughed at for hating onions. Now I have a legitimate reason for hating them! I can live with this list. Well, I

What's Your Song? Thursday - Aug 18, 2011

Stressed out this week. Busy and exhausted. I've been singing Annie to keep myself happy. I like this video, because it's so interesting to see how Annie was cast over the years in various countries. Enjoy! Join the link-up at Amber's blog and checl out her giveaway!

What's Your Song? Thursday Link Up

This week has just been... rough. It started over the weekend. Mom and I spent a lot of time, money and effort in organizing my kitchen and cooking a ton of food. Sadly, cooking, as much as I love it, has become a major pain for me in the past couple of years, and even more so in the last 6 months. I have been dealing with a lot of back pain, and it is at the point where I cannot stand in one place for more than 10 minutes before I collapse in pain. And when I mean collapse, I'm not kidding. Knees hit the floor, tears start streaming down my face, and I lean on the object closest to me, hoping that the waves of pain along my spine will go away. Doctors have no idea what's wrong, x-rays don't show any problems, and the chiropractor claimed I had 4 pinched ligaments, but I can't afford to go to him twice a week to get adjustments (especially when the last time I went, I was in pain for a week afterwards). I did a lot of cooking while sitting down this weekend to ease the