Skip to main content

That 3 pound thing in my skull...

I've always loved reading. My dad parents taught me how to read before I hit Kindergarten. My 2nd grade teacher told my parents that I was reading on a 6th grade level. No wonder I always hated it when we would take turns reading. I was the only one in the class that would get through my section without stumbling over the words.

When I was in middle school and we had to start writing book reports, I always had to beg my teacher to let me choose a book from home instead of from the school library because none of them were ever interesting enough for me. I've done reports in 7th grade on Tom Clancy books. Eventually my teacher just gave up and let me do whatever I wanted to do.

My first Dean Koontz book was Sole Survivor. I loved it. Then I bought False Memory. I was hooked. I will continue to purchase Koontz books until I have a copy of every single one he has written. I currently have roughly 50 books of his, and most have been read. Thankfully I always seem to find him on the clearance rack at Half Price Books. I've reached a point where I have to take a list of the books I already own with me, because I've managed to acquire 7 duplicate copies of books I already have.

So I was lying in bed last night, reading Night Chills. Hubs is always amazed at how fast I read. I can go through a book in a few days - which is why I'm always having to buy more :) He asked me how I could get through them so fast. I joked that I used more brain power than he does. He laughed and said 'Of course you do. You're a woman. It's scientifically proven that women use more of their brains than men.' Sometimes I think that men use just as much brain power as women, but it's not the brain in their skulls lol.

He asked me what I would do if I could use 100% of my brain power. It's not something I've ever really thought about before, but the answer came to me quickly. I'd learn new languages, both computer and spoken. I'd solve the mysteries of the universe, prove or disprove string theory. I'd become a medical researcher and find cures to a lot of diseases. I'd find newer, cheaper ways to become eco-friendly. I'd take down companies like Monsanto, so we were no longer subjected to genetically modified foods.

I liked my answer, and I'd love to hear yours. What would you do if you could use 100% of your brain power?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food Allergy Test Results

I was in for a surprise when I got my food allergy test results this past Wednesday. For the few days prior, my thoughts were wrought with fear that I may be allergic to garlic or nuts. I even started designing my garlic and nut super-villain tattoos. Thankfully those weren't on my list. The shock came with the 29 other items on my list! Moderate allergies Baker’s and brewer's yeast Pineapple Vanilla White mushroom Sensitivities Broccoli Buttermilk Carrots Casein Celery Cilantro Cinnamon Cod Dates Iceberg lettuce Kiwi Lamb Millet Onion Oregano Parsley Plum Potato Raspberry Rosemary Sage Strawberry Swiss cheese Turkey I was upset to see so many yummy foods on the list, including my go-to meat, turkey, and some of my usual spices. I was glad to see celery and onions, though. I’ve detested them for years and I always get laughed at for hating onions. Now I have a legitimate reason for hating them! I can live with this list. Well, I

What's Your Song? Thursday - Aug 18, 2011

Stressed out this week. Busy and exhausted. I've been singing Annie to keep myself happy. I like this video, because it's so interesting to see how Annie was cast over the years in various countries. Enjoy! Join the link-up at Amber's blog and checl out her giveaway!

What's Your Song? Thursday Link Up

This week has just been... rough. It started over the weekend. Mom and I spent a lot of time, money and effort in organizing my kitchen and cooking a ton of food. Sadly, cooking, as much as I love it, has become a major pain for me in the past couple of years, and even more so in the last 6 months. I have been dealing with a lot of back pain, and it is at the point where I cannot stand in one place for more than 10 minutes before I collapse in pain. And when I mean collapse, I'm not kidding. Knees hit the floor, tears start streaming down my face, and I lean on the object closest to me, hoping that the waves of pain along my spine will go away. Doctors have no idea what's wrong, x-rays don't show any problems, and the chiropractor claimed I had 4 pinched ligaments, but I can't afford to go to him twice a week to get adjustments (especially when the last time I went, I was in pain for a week afterwards). I did a lot of cooking while sitting down this weekend to ease the