Skip to main content

Give a little and save a life

I've always been the type of person that would donate to anyone that needed help. I also donate to charity groups. Every once in a while I volunteer. But I don't always talk about it. I don't want to seem stuck-up or better than everyone just because I'm a closet philanthropist. Ok, that's an exaggeration. I don't have enough money to be a philanthropist lol.

Photo from ThinkStock
For a long while, when I was out of work, I couldn't donate. Every time I'd get something from Texas Children's Hospital, March of Dimes (the itty bitty baby committee), St Jude, asking for another donation, I'd cry. I realize that most, if not all, of my donations probably went to funding more donation requests, but it's the thought that counts in my book. When I finally was working enough that I had some extra money to share, I began donating again. My list of charities is long, and my donations are small, but I'm still donating.

Hubs and I are just so passionate about so many groups that instead of choosing one or two and donating a decent chunk, we donate a little bit to a lot of groups. As I'm writing this I'm wondering why I never talk about this, and I'm glad I am now, even if there's an ulterior motive....

Groups we have donated to in the past:


But the whole point of writing this is to talk specifically about one group. In-Sync Exotics Wildlife Rescue and Educational Center. They rescue neglected, abused and unwanted exotic felines, such as tigers, lions, leopards, etc. It's open to the public on the weekends. I visited once, many years ago, when I was still married to my first husband. I took my stepson, Mikey, who was only 3 at the time. There's a beautiful leopard named Jett that thought Mikey looked like a great meal. Of course, Mikey had no idea that's why Jett was following him back and forth along the fence. He was just fascinated by being so close to an animal bigger than him.
Jett - Leopard at In-Sync Exotics
Unfortunately for big cats, they are susceptible to both feline and some canine illnesses. In particular, canine distemper. There has been an outbreak of canine distemper at the rescue center, and it is dangerous to give vaccines designed for dogs because it is a live vaccine. It can cause serious problems in big cats. They have been using a ferret vaccine because it is not as live, but it isn't approved for use in big cats, and they aren't sure if it will provide any protection to those that are not sick. They have already lost two cats this week. Running a rescue of this size is difficult enough, adding a major illness is a heavy burden. I ask you this - can you afford to spare anything for this group? I donated $50 today - I know it's not much, but it's better than nothing. Maybe you know a hunter that has an overstuffed freezer of meat and can spare some for the cats. Or you can donate towels and blankets. There is a list of things they need on their website and facebook pages.


If you want to donate via credit card, here's the link: Donate Here


Check out their photo gallery, and see pictures of the cats you would be helping.

Maybe you want something in return for your donation? There's a bake sale in Dallas on Thursday, July 18 from 10-3pm at the Premier Place Building 1st Floor Lobby: 5910 North Central Expressway (75), Dallas TX, 75206. All the proceeds will go to In-Sync.

Photo from http://simplefactsplainarguments.blogspot.com
In the end, it's up to you to help or not. I won't know if you do. But knowing that you are reading this makes me feel like I'm helping :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food Allergy Test Results

I was in for a surprise when I got my food allergy test results this past Wednesday. For the few days prior, my thoughts were wrought with fear that I may be allergic to garlic or nuts. I even started designing my garlic and nut super-villain tattoos. Thankfully those weren't on my list. The shock came with the 29 other items on my list! Moderate allergies Baker’s and brewer's yeast Pineapple Vanilla White mushroom Sensitivities Broccoli Buttermilk Carrots Casein Celery Cilantro Cinnamon Cod Dates Iceberg lettuce Kiwi Lamb Millet Onion Oregano Parsley Plum Potato Raspberry Rosemary Sage Strawberry Swiss cheese Turkey I was upset to see so many yummy foods on the list, including my go-to meat, turkey, and some of my usual spices. I was glad to see celery and onions, though. I’ve detested them for years and I always get laughed at for hating onions. Now I have a legitimate reason for hating them! I can live with this list. Well, I

What's Your Song? Thursday - Aug 18, 2011

Stressed out this week. Busy and exhausted. I've been singing Annie to keep myself happy. I like this video, because it's so interesting to see how Annie was cast over the years in various countries. Enjoy! Join the link-up at Amber's blog and checl out her giveaway!

What's Your Song? Thursday Link Up

This week has just been... rough. It started over the weekend. Mom and I spent a lot of time, money and effort in organizing my kitchen and cooking a ton of food. Sadly, cooking, as much as I love it, has become a major pain for me in the past couple of years, and even more so in the last 6 months. I have been dealing with a lot of back pain, and it is at the point where I cannot stand in one place for more than 10 minutes before I collapse in pain. And when I mean collapse, I'm not kidding. Knees hit the floor, tears start streaming down my face, and I lean on the object closest to me, hoping that the waves of pain along my spine will go away. Doctors have no idea what's wrong, x-rays don't show any problems, and the chiropractor claimed I had 4 pinched ligaments, but I can't afford to go to him twice a week to get adjustments (especially when the last time I went, I was in pain for a week afterwards). I did a lot of cooking while sitting down this weekend to ease the