Skip to main content

Getting over self-sabotage...


I've become increasingly frustrated with myself. I make plans, but don't follow through with them. I join weight loss challenges, but I don't workout. I buy healthy food and watch it rot. I believe these are valid frustrations. And when I get mad at myself, I self-sabotage. Like half a dozen donuts and chinese takeout.

Today I'm reminding myself of all the good changes I have made.

1) Switched to all-natural shampoo and conditioner - My hair has never looked better and cleaner. And I don't think I'm losing as much as I used to.
2) Switched to all-natural deodorant - No more cysts under my arms. Yay!!!
3) Switched to homemade laundry soap - clothes are cleaner, and saved a decent amount of money.
4) Switched to all-natural bar soap - Just feel cleaner.
5) Quit smoking - This is big. I started smoking at 12-13. I officially quit in Aug 2011. After 10 years, I quit cold turkey. Sadly, I recently started smoking again, 1 or 2 cigs a day, if that. So I need to quit again. And that will be easy.
6) Lost 20+ pounds - Although I have gained some of the weight I lost back, I'm still 20 pounds less than my starting weight.
7) I can do yoga moves that I thought I'd never be able to do.
8) I have broadened my produce horizons - I have a new-found love of veggies that I thought I hated, like zucchini and squash.
9) I went to the rheumatologist - and after finally getting diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia, I know what is wrong with me physically. And I can wear my wedding ring again. I am on medications to make life easier, and they have. I can work again, and I the back pain that left me crippled is now managed, and I can make it through the day now.
10) I went to a new psychiatrist - We are working on finding the right combination of drugs to get me out of this depressive episode and back to being relatively normal. And the anger issues that have caused me to, on multiple occasions, leave my husband don't exist anymore. We have a better relationship now, and I don't have the constant worry that one day my marriage will end.
11) Opened up about my illnesses - I have met so many wonderful women since I started finding facebook groups for my different issues. I have a large, albeit online, support system that knows what I am going through.
12) Decided to manage PCOS naturally - I've been able to have a regular cycle for 2+ years now. Who knows, maybe I've even begun to ovulate again. Maybe we could start the search for a sperm donor...


I'm sure if I thought about it for a while, I could think of more. But the whole point of this is to remind myself that even when I don't feel motivated to do something, I am still better off than I was before, and I just have to push myself a little harder. We'll see how this goes.

Comments

  1. Oh Lynne!!! I read this and think about myself so much. I wish TX and WA weren't so far away!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Food Allergy Test Results

I was in for a surprise when I got my food allergy test results this past Wednesday. For the few days prior, my thoughts were wrought with fear that I may be allergic to garlic or nuts. I even started designing my garlic and nut super-villain tattoos. Thankfully those weren't on my list. The shock came with the 29 other items on my list! Moderate allergies Baker’s and brewer's yeast Pineapple Vanilla White mushroom Sensitivities Broccoli Buttermilk Carrots Casein Celery Cilantro Cinnamon Cod Dates Iceberg lettuce Kiwi Lamb Millet Onion Oregano Parsley Plum Potato Raspberry Rosemary Sage Strawberry Swiss cheese Turkey I was upset to see so many yummy foods on the list, including my go-to meat, turkey, and some of my usual spices. I was glad to see celery and onions, though. I’ve detested them for years and I always get laughed at for hating onions. Now I have a legitimate reason for hating them! I can live with this list. Well, I

What's Your Song? Thursday - Aug 18, 2011

Stressed out this week. Busy and exhausted. I've been singing Annie to keep myself happy. I like this video, because it's so interesting to see how Annie was cast over the years in various countries. Enjoy! Join the link-up at Amber's blog and checl out her giveaway!

What's Your Song? Thursday Link Up

This week has just been... rough. It started over the weekend. Mom and I spent a lot of time, money and effort in organizing my kitchen and cooking a ton of food. Sadly, cooking, as much as I love it, has become a major pain for me in the past couple of years, and even more so in the last 6 months. I have been dealing with a lot of back pain, and it is at the point where I cannot stand in one place for more than 10 minutes before I collapse in pain. And when I mean collapse, I'm not kidding. Knees hit the floor, tears start streaming down my face, and I lean on the object closest to me, hoping that the waves of pain along my spine will go away. Doctors have no idea what's wrong, x-rays don't show any problems, and the chiropractor claimed I had 4 pinched ligaments, but I can't afford to go to him twice a week to get adjustments (especially when the last time I went, I was in pain for a week afterwards). I did a lot of cooking while sitting down this weekend to ease the