Skip to main content

What's That Pill? - Vitex


Name
Vitex, chasteberry, agnus castus, chaste tree, Abraham's balm, monk's pepper

Typical dosage
Capsule Form: Capsule form is the most widely used and studied form of Vitex. Nature's Way brand suggests 400mg 2x daily for 8-12 weeks, then once daily for continued maintenance. (This worked for me)
Natural-Fertility-Info.com suggests 1000mg daily, except during menstruation.
Tincture Form: 10-15 drops daily.
**I often see questions about taking Vitex during menstruation. Some bottles of Vitex say not to, while others don't mention it at all. I have been unable to find any substantial evidence pointing one way or another. Dalene Barton from Natural-fertility-info.com says "It is not going to hurt you to use Vitex during your period, we just feel it is best to let your body naturally cleanse and work on its own during the female bleeding time. Some herbalists feel it is fine to use Vitex during the female bleeding time." If it is easier for you to remember to take them everyday instead of stopping during menses, that's okay! **

Usage
Chasteberry induces the pituitary gland to free a lutenizing hormone (LH) and stop a follicle-stimulating (FSH) one. Vitex contains an active ingredient that binds to dopamine (D2) receptors in the hypothalamus/anterior pituitary, which action inhibits the release of prolactin. Decreased serum prolactin levels result in increased secretion of progesterone during the luteal phase of the menstrual cycle. Vitex can help normalize the ratio of hormones required for normal menstrual function and fertility. Chasteberry can help to lower prolactin levels and aid in the normal functioning of the ovaries, thus providing opportunities for conception. High prolactin levels can also cause amenorrhea (absent menstrual cycles) (Vitamins-Supplements.org)
Vitex works slowly in the body, so do not expect permanent results for 1 to 6 months after beginning Vitex.
Translation - Vitex helps normalize your menstrual cycle by evening out your hormones. Increasing lutenizing hormones will assist with ovulation. High prolactin levels can stop your menstrual cycle. By restricting the release of prolactin, progesterone levels will increase, assisting in bringing on a menstrual cycle or helping carry a pregnancy.


My experience
I took Nature's Way brand capsules for 13 months. I had gone without a period for 19 months before that. I was only on Vitex for about a week and a half before I had a menstrual cycle. Every month following, my cycle would come back and get a little more normal. I had a cycle every month for 12 months.

Other's experiences
Do you want to share your vitex story, good or bad? Please email me! courtneylwallace(at)gmail(dot)com with the subject 'Vitex Experience'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food Allergy Test Results

I was in for a surprise when I got my food allergy test results this past Wednesday. For the few days prior, my thoughts were wrought with fear that I may be allergic to garlic or nuts. I even started designing my garlic and nut super-villain tattoos. Thankfully those weren't on my list. The shock came with the 29 other items on my list! Moderate allergies Baker’s and brewer's yeast Pineapple Vanilla White mushroom Sensitivities Broccoli Buttermilk Carrots Casein Celery Cilantro Cinnamon Cod Dates Iceberg lettuce Kiwi Lamb Millet Onion Oregano Parsley Plum Potato Raspberry Rosemary Sage Strawberry Swiss cheese Turkey I was upset to see so many yummy foods on the list, including my go-to meat, turkey, and some of my usual spices. I was glad to see celery and onions, though. I’ve detested them for years and I always get laughed at for hating onions. Now I have a legitimate reason for hating them! I can live with this list. Well, I

What's Your Song? Thursday - Aug 18, 2011

Stressed out this week. Busy and exhausted. I've been singing Annie to keep myself happy. I like this video, because it's so interesting to see how Annie was cast over the years in various countries. Enjoy! Join the link-up at Amber's blog and checl out her giveaway!

What's Your Song? Thursday Link Up

This week has just been... rough. It started over the weekend. Mom and I spent a lot of time, money and effort in organizing my kitchen and cooking a ton of food. Sadly, cooking, as much as I love it, has become a major pain for me in the past couple of years, and even more so in the last 6 months. I have been dealing with a lot of back pain, and it is at the point where I cannot stand in one place for more than 10 minutes before I collapse in pain. And when I mean collapse, I'm not kidding. Knees hit the floor, tears start streaming down my face, and I lean on the object closest to me, hoping that the waves of pain along my spine will go away. Doctors have no idea what's wrong, x-rays don't show any problems, and the chiropractor claimed I had 4 pinched ligaments, but I can't afford to go to him twice a week to get adjustments (especially when the last time I went, I was in pain for a week afterwards). I did a lot of cooking while sitting down this weekend to ease the