Skip to main content

Sabbatical - The Plan

Monday was officially the first day of my 2-3 month sabbatical. I decided that I needed to take a break for my health after my employment contract ended. I want to focus on getting more exercise, losing weight, and starting to feel better as a whole. I also decided that I needed to quit smoking. Although I had drastically cut back in the past few months, smoking no more than 3-4 a day, down from 10. I stopped Friday.

Here's the plan:
  • Breakfast - Fruity Hemp Protein Smoothie, Supplements
  • Exercise - Up to one hour of exercise, at least 20 minutes.
  • After workout snack - 5 min quinoa flake bake. Flavor depends on the fruit in the house, and the matching recipe from one of my favorite blogs: Healthful Pursuit. These are absolutely fantastic, and so versatile!
  • Lunch - Yummy salad, ingredients dependent on the produce in the house, topped with a gluten-free dressing, Supplements
  • Exercise - Up to one hour of exercise, at least 20 minutes.
  • After workout snack - Nut and granola bar
  • Dinner - A delicious dinner, gluten free and low carb.

So far things have been going fairly well. I found a great new game called ExerBeat. I really like it because it has a ton of different exercises. Even better, though, it has a story line. I was in shock. A workout game with a story? How unusual is that? In this game, you accrue miles for the time you have worked out. Those miles are used in the story line to move your character around the world.

I've worked out for an hour each day, and haven't eaten anything too terribly bad for me. I've cleaned the kitchen, done a few loads of laundry, and overall felt relaxed. The ability to relax is really important to me right now, as I feel that I haven't been able to do that since I started working. The hubby and I have been putting puzzles together every night :) It's been fun getting to enjoy something like that with him - when I was working we'd just watch tv together.

The only problem I am now encountering has to do with my teeth. The far back right side of my mouth hurts really bad. It only happens at night, when I'm trying to sleep. I'm in so much pain that I can't sleep (Hence the reason I'm finishing this post at 3 am...) I'm currently waiting for tylenol to kick in so I can get some rest. So far, from the research I have done, it could be one of several things - Nicotine withdrawal, a new side effect of my anti-depressants, TMJ, or wisdom teeth. I've ruled out wisdom teeth because it doesn't hurt all the time, and I don't grind my teeth, so it's not likely TMJ. I've been on this anti-depressant now for almost 2 months, and this just started 2 days ago, so it's likely nicotine withdrawal. I guess since it's the only withdrawal symptom I'm having I should be happy, but it's hard when it hurts so much.

Well, I'm going to try to get some sleep now. I have a 10% off coupon for my local farmer's market tomorrow, but I have to use it between 9 am and 1 pm. I need some sleep so I can be productive! Tomorrow's tasks - farmer's market, more laundry and hopefully some more house cleaning!

Comments

  1. Good for you for being productive and making healthy choices during your sabbatical! I look forward to reading about your accomplishments. I hope your teeth hurting is a very temporary thing. I wonder if Sensodyne toothpaste (or another toothpased for sensitive teeth) would help?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! Smoking is one of the hardest habits to stop. I wouldn't know from experience because I'm still smoking..... I applaud you because I know how much willpower things like these take. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Food Allergy Test Results

I was in for a surprise when I got my food allergy test results this past Wednesday. For the few days prior, my thoughts were wrought with fear that I may be allergic to garlic or nuts. I even started designing my garlic and nut super-villain tattoos. Thankfully those weren't on my list. The shock came with the 29 other items on my list! Moderate allergies Baker’s and brewer's yeast Pineapple Vanilla White mushroom Sensitivities Broccoli Buttermilk Carrots Casein Celery Cilantro Cinnamon Cod Dates Iceberg lettuce Kiwi Lamb Millet Onion Oregano Parsley Plum Potato Raspberry Rosemary Sage Strawberry Swiss cheese Turkey I was upset to see so many yummy foods on the list, including my go-to meat, turkey, and some of my usual spices. I was glad to see celery and onions, though. I’ve detested them for years and I always get laughed at for hating onions. Now I have a legitimate reason for hating them! I can live with this list. Well, I

What's Your Song? Thursday - Aug 18, 2011

Stressed out this week. Busy and exhausted. I've been singing Annie to keep myself happy. I like this video, because it's so interesting to see how Annie was cast over the years in various countries. Enjoy! Join the link-up at Amber's blog and checl out her giveaway!

What's Your Song? Thursday Link Up

This week has just been... rough. It started over the weekend. Mom and I spent a lot of time, money and effort in organizing my kitchen and cooking a ton of food. Sadly, cooking, as much as I love it, has become a major pain for me in the past couple of years, and even more so in the last 6 months. I have been dealing with a lot of back pain, and it is at the point where I cannot stand in one place for more than 10 minutes before I collapse in pain. And when I mean collapse, I'm not kidding. Knees hit the floor, tears start streaming down my face, and I lean on the object closest to me, hoping that the waves of pain along my spine will go away. Doctors have no idea what's wrong, x-rays don't show any problems, and the chiropractor claimed I had 4 pinched ligaments, but I can't afford to go to him twice a week to get adjustments (especially when the last time I went, I was in pain for a week afterwards). I did a lot of cooking while sitting down this weekend to ease the