Skip to main content

My featherbaby, Squeaks :)

I'm glad that Stress Free Infertility is doing a Furry Friday Friend Link Up. I need some cuteness to brighten my day. I don't have a furbaby, I have a featherbaby. His name is Squeaks, and he's a Green Cheeked Conure (GCC). He's smart as a whip, with a smart-ass attitude to boot :) He won't curl up in your lap like a cat, but he'll sit on your shoulder and snuggle up under your hair. He wears bells as hats, plays dead when he doesn't think he's getting enough attention, and attacks dots of light from laser pens. He cries 'Mama' in his gravelly, almost undecernable voice when I'm not in the house. He gets mad at Daddy if he doesn't get a belly rub every morning. He wakes up on the wrong side of the bed if he doesn't get 12 hours of sleep. He believes he should never have a clean water bowl, and the water faucet is evil - he expresses his opinion quite vocally :)


In June 2009, we decided we wanted to get a GCC. With our infertility issues, birds were/are much cheaper than kids. We had fallen in love with Houdini, a GCC at a local pet store. Houdini crawled up on my shoulder and fell asleep on multiple occasions, and he didn't do that with any other customers. When we finally had the money, we went to the pet store. We were 2 hours late. Someone had purchased Houdini. I was heartbroken. Then we were told we could special order a GCC baby from the breeder, and the store would wean it for us. They said it would be a great bonding experience, because we could come in and see him, play with him and hold him all we wanted. So we did. When we first saw him, he was a pitiful little bird with gray fluffy feathers. And it was love at first sight. All the noise he could muster was this high-pitched squeak. It was the perfect name for him, and he seemed to like it. Those gray feathers were soon replaced with every color in the rainbow. He's a little over 2 years old now, still a baby really, since parrots live 20-45 years. There have been times when I wish he had a mute button, would keep his water bowl clean for just a few hours, or didn't have a secret desire to be a vampire. But even when he drives me crazy, I love him. He really is my child, and I'm glad Houdini wasn't available.

   


Want to show off your furbaby or featherbaby? Head over to the Stress Free Infertility blog and link up!

Comments

  1. Thanks so much for linking up and spreading the word! What a great bird! And so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Food Allergy Test Results

I was in for a surprise when I got my food allergy test results this past Wednesday. For the few days prior, my thoughts were wrought with fear that I may be allergic to garlic or nuts. I even started designing my garlic and nut super-villain tattoos. Thankfully those weren't on my list. The shock came with the 29 other items on my list! Moderate allergies Baker’s and brewer's yeast Pineapple Vanilla White mushroom Sensitivities Broccoli Buttermilk Carrots Casein Celery Cilantro Cinnamon Cod Dates Iceberg lettuce Kiwi Lamb Millet Onion Oregano Parsley Plum Potato Raspberry Rosemary Sage Strawberry Swiss cheese Turkey I was upset to see so many yummy foods on the list, including my go-to meat, turkey, and some of my usual spices. I was glad to see celery and onions, though. I’ve detested them for years and I always get laughed at for hating onions. Now I have a legitimate reason for hating them! I can live with this list. Well, I

What's Your Song? Thursday - Aug 18, 2011

Stressed out this week. Busy and exhausted. I've been singing Annie to keep myself happy. I like this video, because it's so interesting to see how Annie was cast over the years in various countries. Enjoy! Join the link-up at Amber's blog and checl out her giveaway!

What's Your Song? Thursday Link Up

This week has just been... rough. It started over the weekend. Mom and I spent a lot of time, money and effort in organizing my kitchen and cooking a ton of food. Sadly, cooking, as much as I love it, has become a major pain for me in the past couple of years, and even more so in the last 6 months. I have been dealing with a lot of back pain, and it is at the point where I cannot stand in one place for more than 10 minutes before I collapse in pain. And when I mean collapse, I'm not kidding. Knees hit the floor, tears start streaming down my face, and I lean on the object closest to me, hoping that the waves of pain along my spine will go away. Doctors have no idea what's wrong, x-rays don't show any problems, and the chiropractor claimed I had 4 pinched ligaments, but I can't afford to go to him twice a week to get adjustments (especially when the last time I went, I was in pain for a week afterwards). I did a lot of cooking while sitting down this weekend to ease the