Skip to main content

What's for Dinner? April 18-22, 2011

Last week I focused on replacing carbs like rice and pasta with veggies. It went so well that we will be replacing rice and pasta with grated cauliflower and spaghetti squash in prety much every application we can.

This week I wanted to focus on trying healthier grains in my attempt to go gluten-free, particulary Quinoa. Central Market has bulk whole quinoa for very cheap. It doesn't weigh much, so a pound goes SO FAR! I also purchased a package of ground quinoa flour. If I like the flour, I will probably start grinding my own to make it cheaper.

Monday: Taco Salad (again!)
Hubs loved this recipe, so I'm doing it again. Of course, I'll still be using cauliflower instead of rice. I used orange cauliflower last week, and it looked like spanish rice. Very cool :)

Recipe can be found in last week's menu plan: April 11-15 2011 Menu Plan

Tuesday: Quinoa and Black Bean Salad
After reading the reviews on this recipe, I can't wait to try this. I will be canned corn instead of frozen, and will be adding a little more cayenne for some extra heat. I will also be eliminating the onion, because I don't like them.

Ingredients
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup frozen corn kernels
2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Directions
1.Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and saute until lightly browned.
2.Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with vegetable broth. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes,
3.Stir frozen corn into the saucepan, and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through. Mix in the black beans and cilantro.

This recipe comes courtesy of PCOS Diva and AllRecipes.

Wednesday: Raspberry Balsamic Chicken and Sour Cream Fudge Cupcakes
I really want to bake this week, and I think this is the perfect day to do it. Can't wait to try the cupcakes!

Raspberry Balsamic Chicken
I'm not a fan of anything related to an onion, so I will be skipping the shallots in this dish.
Ingredients
3/4 cup seedless all-fruit raspberry jam
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
4 4- to 5-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts, tenders removed (see Tip)
2 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup chopped shallots, (2-3 large)
1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme

Directions
1. Combine jam and vinegar in a small pan over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring often, until the jam is dissolved, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in salt and pepper and let cool slightly. Reserve 1/2 cup of the sauce. Place chicken breasts and the rest of the sauce in a large sealable plastic bag. Seal and shake gently to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots and thyme and cook, stirring often, until the shallots begin to soften, about 1 minute. Remove the chicken from the marinade (discard marinade). Add the chicken to the pan and cook until just beginning to brown, 2 minutes on each side. Add the reserved raspberry sauce; stir to melt the jam and coat the chicken. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the center, 6 to 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
Courtesy of PCOS Diva and FitnessMagazine

Sour Cream Fudge Cupcakes

Ingredients
¼ cup butter (or margarine)
½ cup water
¼ cup cocoa powder
1 cup sugar
1 ¼ cup quinoa flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt (optional)
2 eggs, separated
1 teaspoon vanilla
¼ cup sour cream

Directions
Preheat oven to 375˚. Place butter and water in saucepan. Bring to boil, remove from heat and whisk in the cocoa powder. Sift together the sugar, quinoa flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the cooled cocoa mixture, egg yolks, vanilla, and sour cream and blend well. Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Fold into batter. Spoon into muffin tin lined with paper cupcake liners. Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Makes 12 cupcakes
Courtesy of Quinoa Corp.

Thursday: Veggie Burgers with Sweet Potato Fries
I'm going easy today, with burgers and fries. No special cooking - just heat and eat. I picked up some Bruschetta Tomato Basil Parmesan Veggie Patties made by Boca Burger. Check your vegetarian/organic frozen section of your grocery store for these. I'm going to top them with more veggies and serve with sweet potato fries. I picked those up from the frozen section of my grocery store.

Friday: Turkey and Quinoa Meatloaf
I'm going to round out this week with more quinoa. I love a good meatloaf, and I like the sound of this recipe :) (Again, I will be removing the onions)

Ingredients
1/4 cup quinoa
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 large clove garlic, chopped
1 (20 ounce) package ground turkey
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon water

Directions
1.Bring the quinoa and water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender, and the water has been absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
2.Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
3.Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute; remove from heat to cool.
4.Stir the turkey, cooked quinoa, onions, tomato paste, hot sauce, 2 tablespoons Worcestershire, egg, salt, and pepper in a large bowl until well combined. The mixture will be very moist. Shape into a loaf on a foil lined baking sheet. Combine the brown sugar, 2 teaspoons Worcestershire, and 1 teaspoon water in a small bowl. Rub the paste over the top of the meatloaf.
5.Bake in the preheated oven until no longer pink in the center, about 50 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 160 degrees F (70 degrees C). Let the meatloaf cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.

Courtesy of AllRecipes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food Allergy Test Results

I was in for a surprise when I got my food allergy test results this past Wednesday. For the few days prior, my thoughts were wrought with fear that I may be allergic to garlic or nuts. I even started designing my garlic and nut super-villain tattoos. Thankfully those weren't on my list. The shock came with the 29 other items on my list! Moderate allergies Baker’s and brewer's yeast Pineapple Vanilla White mushroom Sensitivities Broccoli Buttermilk Carrots Casein Celery Cilantro Cinnamon Cod Dates Iceberg lettuce Kiwi Lamb Millet Onion Oregano Parsley Plum Potato Raspberry Rosemary Sage Strawberry Swiss cheese Turkey I was upset to see so many yummy foods on the list, including my go-to meat, turkey, and some of my usual spices. I was glad to see celery and onions, though. I’ve detested them for years and I always get laughed at for hating onions. Now I have a legitimate reason for hating them! I can live with this list. Well, I

What's Your Song? Thursday - Aug 18, 2011

Stressed out this week. Busy and exhausted. I've been singing Annie to keep myself happy. I like this video, because it's so interesting to see how Annie was cast over the years in various countries. Enjoy! Join the link-up at Amber's blog and checl out her giveaway!

What's Your Song? Thursday Link Up

This week has just been... rough. It started over the weekend. Mom and I spent a lot of time, money and effort in organizing my kitchen and cooking a ton of food. Sadly, cooking, as much as I love it, has become a major pain for me in the past couple of years, and even more so in the last 6 months. I have been dealing with a lot of back pain, and it is at the point where I cannot stand in one place for more than 10 minutes before I collapse in pain. And when I mean collapse, I'm not kidding. Knees hit the floor, tears start streaming down my face, and I lean on the object closest to me, hoping that the waves of pain along my spine will go away. Doctors have no idea what's wrong, x-rays don't show any problems, and the chiropractor claimed I had 4 pinched ligaments, but I can't afford to go to him twice a week to get adjustments (especially when the last time I went, I was in pain for a week afterwards). I did a lot of cooking while sitting down this weekend to ease the