Skip to main content

First Day of School 2016

**CNBC TRIGGER WARNING**

School started today. If you missed my last post, you missed the big news- we're PARENTS! We temporarily adopted my niece.

The last 3 weeks have been a huge adjustment for us. In a good way, mostly. Hubs and I are having a lot of pain issues, but we aren't used to being so active. Either we'll keel over from the pain or our bodies will eventually get used to it.

Getting up at 5:30 to make sure the kidlet is on a bus by 7 is definitely a change of pace from our usual "sleep til 12" schedule, but it was a needed change. I can get a full day's work in and still be home in time to make dinner at a decent hour and bathe the kid. Although it takes time to adjust, I think it's good for all of us.

We are actually having to make 3 meals a day, and I think that has been the toughest. I'm never hungry in the AM, so having to actually set aside time to make food for the kidlet is unusual. I'll have to start making my breakfast smoothies again. She LOVES to cook dinner with me, and I've been teaching her basic skills, like how to cut things and stir. She's got some major work to go on the knife skills, but as long as she doesn't chop her fingers off, I can always go back and cut things the right way afterwards. She adores fried tofu, baba ganoush, hummus and every veggie on the planet. It's been fairly easy to feed her a mostly plant-based diet, which I'm experimenting with to see if it helps out with some of her issues. Don't worry, I'm watching her nutrient intake very carefully so she isn't missing anything.

She got her first library card when she moved in, and checks out the max number of books every week. We read them all before bed. Getting her in bed on time has been an experience, but we are getting better. Since she helps me cook, it takes FOREVER to make dinner lol, and our nightly schedule gets thrown off. Dinner prep is going to have to start earlier.

She told me last week that she gets headaches when she tries to force herself to sleep, so I put some peppermint oil on her forehead, and some insomnia oil too. She liked it so much that she now asks for it every night so she doesn't get a headache. This kid is smart!

With all of the "issues" she has had in the past, I was expecting to run into some problems. We haven't had any at all. We suspect now that part of the problem was being bullied by her twin sister. Although I do believe that she does still struggle with expressing emotions, and that might come out in school as she meets new kids and potentially runs into a bully. I'm not going to worry about that until it actually happens. Instead, we are going to focus on her love of yoga class, her desire to be a ballerina, and just being a happy little kid.

Alright, enough about G. :)

And for any CNBC friends of mine that read this, I'm doing my best to not be too crazy with my kid posts. I know that first day of school pics are rough, so I didn't post one. I did send it to her mom so she could post it, though lol.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food Allergy Test Results

I was in for a surprise when I got my food allergy test results this past Wednesday. For the few days prior, my thoughts were wrought with fear that I may be allergic to garlic or nuts. I even started designing my garlic and nut super-villain tattoos. Thankfully those weren't on my list. The shock came with the 29 other items on my list! Moderate allergies Baker’s and brewer's yeast Pineapple Vanilla White mushroom Sensitivities Broccoli Buttermilk Carrots Casein Celery Cilantro Cinnamon Cod Dates Iceberg lettuce Kiwi Lamb Millet Onion Oregano Parsley Plum Potato Raspberry Rosemary Sage Strawberry Swiss cheese Turkey I was upset to see so many yummy foods on the list, including my go-to meat, turkey, and some of my usual spices. I was glad to see celery and onions, though. I’ve detested them for years and I always get laughed at for hating onions. Now I have a legitimate reason for hating them! I can live with this list. Well, I

What's Your Song? Thursday Link Up

This week has just been... rough. It started over the weekend. Mom and I spent a lot of time, money and effort in organizing my kitchen and cooking a ton of food. Sadly, cooking, as much as I love it, has become a major pain for me in the past couple of years, and even more so in the last 6 months. I have been dealing with a lot of back pain, and it is at the point where I cannot stand in one place for more than 10 minutes before I collapse in pain. And when I mean collapse, I'm not kidding. Knees hit the floor, tears start streaming down my face, and I lean on the object closest to me, hoping that the waves of pain along my spine will go away. Doctors have no idea what's wrong, x-rays don't show any problems, and the chiropractor claimed I had 4 pinched ligaments, but I can't afford to go to him twice a week to get adjustments (especially when the last time I went, I was in pain for a week afterwards). I did a lot of cooking while sitting down this weekend to ease the

What's Your Song? Thursday - Aug 18, 2011

Stressed out this week. Busy and exhausted. I've been singing Annie to keep myself happy. I like this video, because it's so interesting to see how Annie was cast over the years in various countries. Enjoy! Join the link-up at Amber's blog and checl out her giveaway!