Skip to main content

OMG Books!

I've spent a lot of time in bed lately, due to serious pain flares. It has not been fun. Having the guys at home to hang out with has been some help, but I'm still so frustrated by the lack of ability to do anything. So I've been reading books. Lots of books. I think I've finished 3 in the last week or two. When Angie posted about this book challenge she is doing, I decided I must do it as well! I just recently won two of Angie's blog giveaways, so I'm kinda hooked on her blog lol. I've always loved books as a way to disappear into another world. Books are movies on steroids. For less than the cost of one movie ticket, I can get hours and hours of video in my head. I can put myself in the movie, playing the main character. I can be the good guy, the bad guy, or the one you aren't so sure about.  I feel bad for the people that say they hate reading, or the ones who haven't picked up a book since some of the crappy ones we were forced to read in school.


The challenge is hosted by Megan at Semi-Charmed. Here are the rules:

    The challenge will run from May 1st, 2015 to August 31st, 2015.  No books that are started before 12AM on May 1st or after finished August 31st will be counted.
    Each book must be at least 200 pages long.  Audiobooks and large print books are fine, as long as the regular print version meets the page requirement.
    A book can only be used for one category, and each category can only be completed once.  If you want to switch a category for a book later on, that is fine, just make sure to account for it in your points.
    Rereads can be used for a maximum of 3 books in the challenge.  This rule is meant to encourage you to try new books while still allowing you to revisit books from your childhood or young adulthood that you might get more out of now.  Please reread the entire book within the time frame of the challenge in order to count it; no simply finishing old books or partial rereads.
    The highest possible total for the challenge is 200 points, and the first five people to finish the challenge will be invited to contribute a category for the next challenge.

Challenge Categories:
  • 5 points: Freebie! Read any book that fits the general rules.
  • 10 points: Read a book you have never heard of before. (Just go to a shelf and pick a book based on the cover, the title, whatever you want!)
  • 10 points: Read a book that has been on your TBR list for at least two years. (If you've had a Goodreads account for 2+ years, this will be easy to figure out. If you don’t, do your best to pick a book you’re pretty sure you’ve been wanting to read for years.)
  • 10 points: Read a book that won a Goodreads "Best Book" Award in 2014.
  • 15 points: Read a book by an author who is completely new to you.
  • 15 points: Read a book by an author you have read before. (No re-reads for this one.)
  • 15 points: Read a book with "light" or "dark" in the title. (Or "lightness" or "darkness.")
  • 20 points: Read a book with the name of a city, state or country in the title.
  • 20 points: Read a book with an animal on the cover.
  • 25 points: Read a book that is part of a series with at least four books.
  • 25 points: Read a book that is longer than 500 pages long. — Submitted by winter finisher Kristen from See You in a Porridge.
  • 30 points: Read a book with an alliterative title. (All words in the title must begin with the same letter; no exceptions for articles or prepositions. Examples: Gone Girl or Nicholas Nickleby. Yes, this is tough, which is why it's worth the most points!)
So what books am I going to read? What a thing to think about....

Challenge Categories:
  • Freebie! Not sure yet! I've got some books I need to finish, but that won't work for this challenge.
  • Read a book you have never heard of before. - Random book from the library
  • Read a book that has been on your TBR list for at least two years. This will take forever to choose!
  • Read a book that won a Goodreads "Best Book" Award in 2014. The Book of Life by Deborah Harkness
  • Read a book by an author who is completely new to you. One of the Bones books by Kathy Reichs. I bought it a month ago off the clearance rack and need to read it!
  • Read a book by an author you have read before. Disclosure by Michael Crichton
  • Read a book with "light" or "dark" in the title. The Darkest Touch by Gena Showalter
  • Read a book with the name of a city, state or country in the title. This will be a random library book search!
  • Read a book with an animal on the cover. This will be a random library book search!
  • Read a book that is part of a series with at least four books. One of the Dark series by Christine Feehan
  • Read a book that is longer than 500 pages long. American Gods by Neil Gaiman
  • Read a book with an alliterative title. Red Rising by Pierce Brown

Now I just have to wait two days before starting the next book! Or finish one in two days. I could do either. Will you read along with me?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food Allergy Test Results

I was in for a surprise when I got my food allergy test results this past Wednesday. For the few days prior, my thoughts were wrought with fear that I may be allergic to garlic or nuts. I even started designing my garlic and nut super-villain tattoos. Thankfully those weren't on my list. The shock came with the 29 other items on my list! Moderate allergies Baker’s and brewer's yeast Pineapple Vanilla White mushroom Sensitivities Broccoli Buttermilk Carrots Casein Celery Cilantro Cinnamon Cod Dates Iceberg lettuce Kiwi Lamb Millet Onion Oregano Parsley Plum Potato Raspberry Rosemary Sage Strawberry Swiss cheese Turkey I was upset to see so many yummy foods on the list, including my go-to meat, turkey, and some of my usual spices. I was glad to see celery and onions, though. I’ve detested them for years and I always get laughed at for hating onions. Now I have a legitimate reason for hating them! I can live with this list. Well, I

What's Your Song? Thursday - Aug 18, 2011

Stressed out this week. Busy and exhausted. I've been singing Annie to keep myself happy. I like this video, because it's so interesting to see how Annie was cast over the years in various countries. Enjoy! Join the link-up at Amber's blog and checl out her giveaway!

What's Your Song? Thursday Link Up

This week has just been... rough. It started over the weekend. Mom and I spent a lot of time, money and effort in organizing my kitchen and cooking a ton of food. Sadly, cooking, as much as I love it, has become a major pain for me in the past couple of years, and even more so in the last 6 months. I have been dealing with a lot of back pain, and it is at the point where I cannot stand in one place for more than 10 minutes before I collapse in pain. And when I mean collapse, I'm not kidding. Knees hit the floor, tears start streaming down my face, and I lean on the object closest to me, hoping that the waves of pain along my spine will go away. Doctors have no idea what's wrong, x-rays don't show any problems, and the chiropractor claimed I had 4 pinched ligaments, but I can't afford to go to him twice a week to get adjustments (especially when the last time I went, I was in pain for a week afterwards). I did a lot of cooking while sitting down this weekend to ease the