Skip to main content

It's the end of the world as we know it! (ok, just 2014)

It's the end of 2014, and time for a new year. We've had some ups and downs this year, and I'm ready for it to be over. However, if the last month or two hadn't happened, I'd probably be starting the new year out like it was any old day, instead of a great time to make a fresh start.

The new medication is fabulous - although Hubs and I have been wondering if it's not actually helping, but sending me into a manic episode instead. It's very hard for me to be upset about this, because when I'm manic, things around the house get done, I spend more time hanging out with friends, I watch less tv, I cook more, and some other less appropriate things to discuss :) But Hubs knows when a manic episode goes from being helpful to dangerous, so he is watching me very closely. The first time I seem a little bit too impulsive, angry, violent, or way out of the ordinary, he'll let me know, and I'll call the doc. But it was nice to hear when he said "Welcome Back". I haven't been this happy and felt this good in a really long while, and I don't want it to end. My bestie came over last weekend and we got almost the entire house cleaned. For those of my friends who have been to my house, you'd be shocked. Like, you've only seen this happen a couple of times in the past decade.

In the past I've tried to downsize my kitchen supplies, because I've got the equipment, plates, cups and bowls to feed a friggin' army. But that always caused problems for me, because if I had clean dishes, I wouldn't wash the old ones. So I made a drastic decision and trashed literally every piece of plastic from my kitchen. No more tupperware, crappy cups, etc. I have been wanting to convert to glass for over a year because it's healthier, and my sister's gift of mason jars really helped. I still have my pots and pans because I just can't part with them, but the serious reduction in plastic has been a huge relief already.

The relationship between Hubs and I has blossomed in ways I never thought posible, because of a personal decision we made to do something really unusual per today's relationship expectations. It'll be a little while before I'm willing to openly discuss our changes, but one day I just might feel like admitting to it haha.

So what revelations did I have in 2014 that will totally change 2015?

- I'm vegetarian, headed for vegan. I realized that I love all animals, and hate knowing that I'm eating an animal that didn't deserve/need to die or be tortured to satisfy my hunger. There are plenty of plants, seeds and nuts that provide everything I need without hurting animals at all. And along with this change has come more of an understanding of my body. I'm learning how my body reacts to different substances, and it's making my decision to change my life even easier. I keep getting told or asked the same things - "That's so hard! How do you make sure you get protein? Are you eating enough? How can you eat so restrictively?" This isn't a restriction. If anything, it allows me to break
free from the expectations that I need a big portion of meat to feed me. I've been vegetarian for almost 3 months now, and I haven't felt upset or hungry because I'm not eating meat. In fact, I actually love this change. And it's cheaper on my pocketbook!

- I do not need an arbitrary date to change my life. Thanks to Leann at Healthful Pursuit, I am learning that every second is an opportunity for change. I don't need to get mad at myself for eating bad. I just forget about it and move on. I don't have to just give up and start another day. It's the simplest thing I've ever learned, and I wish that I had incorporated it years ago. But - no regrets - change starts right this second :)

- It's totally okay to be different. I'm not normal. My husband isn't normal. My friends aren't normal. Who cares? Not me! I love the way I am and the people in my life, and I won't let anyone try to make me feel bad because my life doesn't agree with them.

- The desire and willingness to change my life has to come from within. I can't do it for anyone else. I want to change for myself. I want to feel healthier, be happier with the way I look, and love life.

- I love myself - no matter what. I'm awesome just the way I am. I might have some things I want to change, but that doesn't mean I don't love myself right now. And more than ever, some of the changes I have made in my relationship with Hubs have solidified this new self-love.

I'm looking forward to the next year. Are you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food Allergy Test Results

I was in for a surprise when I got my food allergy test results this past Wednesday. For the few days prior, my thoughts were wrought with fear that I may be allergic to garlic or nuts. I even started designing my garlic and nut super-villain tattoos. Thankfully those weren't on my list. The shock came with the 29 other items on my list! Moderate allergies Baker’s and brewer's yeast Pineapple Vanilla White mushroom Sensitivities Broccoli Buttermilk Carrots Casein Celery Cilantro Cinnamon Cod Dates Iceberg lettuce Kiwi Lamb Millet Onion Oregano Parsley Plum Potato Raspberry Rosemary Sage Strawberry Swiss cheese Turkey I was upset to see so many yummy foods on the list, including my go-to meat, turkey, and some of my usual spices. I was glad to see celery and onions, though. I’ve detested them for years and I always get laughed at for hating onions. Now I have a legitimate reason for hating them! I can live with this list. Well, I

What's Your Song? Thursday - Aug 18, 2011

Stressed out this week. Busy and exhausted. I've been singing Annie to keep myself happy. I like this video, because it's so interesting to see how Annie was cast over the years in various countries. Enjoy! Join the link-up at Amber's blog and checl out her giveaway!

What's Your Song? Thursday Link Up

This week has just been... rough. It started over the weekend. Mom and I spent a lot of time, money and effort in organizing my kitchen and cooking a ton of food. Sadly, cooking, as much as I love it, has become a major pain for me in the past couple of years, and even more so in the last 6 months. I have been dealing with a lot of back pain, and it is at the point where I cannot stand in one place for more than 10 minutes before I collapse in pain. And when I mean collapse, I'm not kidding. Knees hit the floor, tears start streaming down my face, and I lean on the object closest to me, hoping that the waves of pain along my spine will go away. Doctors have no idea what's wrong, x-rays don't show any problems, and the chiropractor claimed I had 4 pinched ligaments, but I can't afford to go to him twice a week to get adjustments (especially when the last time I went, I was in pain for a week afterwards). I did a lot of cooking while sitting down this weekend to ease the