Skip to main content

Raw Vegan Jerky!

Every time we go to the local farmer's market, Mom and I grab stuff off of the almost-bad shelf. It's usually full of over-ripe bananas and other fruits. This time there was a ton of carrots, so Mom asked if we could make some carrot juice. We ended up juicing carrots, apples, pears, grapes and blueberries. When we were done I had a gallon sized baggie packed overflowing of juice pulp. I really didn't want to throw it away, so I tried something new. Juice Pulp Crackers. I went based off of a recipe from Gena at Choosing Raw. I was so excited to try it out, along with my new VitaMix that Hubs won.

I'm not excited about the VitaMix. It didn't blend well, had no cyclonic action to pull unblended stuff from the top to the bottom, and it just shut off after getting too warm. I wasn't using it for more than 45 sec at a time at half speed and it overheated. For a $500 blender, I am not happy. I'm just glad I didn't actually fork out the money for it myself. When I was blending, I was having to use a tamper to push the unblended stuff down, and as someone with rheumatoid arthritis, that was RIDICULOUS. Honestly my hands still hurt from it. But I got the job done, and had 16+ cups of wet juice pulp for crackers. I spread the mix out thin onto my dehydrator sheets, popped them in the dehydrator, and 24 hours later I had Vegan Jerky! I cooked them at a lower temperature than Gena suggested - 105 instead of 115, so it took a lot longer to finish. Most of them were thin enough that they are crispy like crackers now, which was my original intention. Some of the thicker sheets are a little chewy, thus the jerky name. You can't taste the carrots at all, just the fruity flavor, so I think they would go awesome with a little cream cheese at breakfast. True, cream cheese invalidates the vegan claim, but there's vegan cream cheese out there.

I was so excited that these turned out well, and I'll be snacking on them all week. I took some to work and got great reviews from my coworkers. I'm giving some to my neighbors tonight to see what they think. I am definitely going to start doing this often. I need to get back into juicing anyway so I can get more of my leafy greens back in my diet. I'm going back to salads as well, but I've got to get rid of all the crappy dressings I have in the fridge.Crappy dressings make crappy salads, and I don't like crappy salads.

So this recipe is super easy. Take your juice pulp, blend it with some water or juice to make it a little wet, but you still want it to hold together. It also should be easily spreadable. Add flax seed for some extra crunch and omega-3s. Spread it out thin on a dehydrator sheet or parchment paper, and pop them in. After 4-132 hours, depending on the temp you use, flip them over and pop them back in. You can also score them here so they break apart easily when they are done. When they are done, let them cool and stick them in an airtight container. They should last for at least a week. Then dive in! I bet you can't eat just one :)

Gena has suggested that you can do this in the oven, but I haven't tried it.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food Allergy Test Results

I was in for a surprise when I got my food allergy test results this past Wednesday. For the few days prior, my thoughts were wrought with fear that I may be allergic to garlic or nuts. I even started designing my garlic and nut super-villain tattoos. Thankfully those weren't on my list. The shock came with the 29 other items on my list! Moderate allergies Baker’s and brewer's yeast Pineapple Vanilla White mushroom Sensitivities Broccoli Buttermilk Carrots Casein Celery Cilantro Cinnamon Cod Dates Iceberg lettuce Kiwi Lamb Millet Onion Oregano Parsley Plum Potato Raspberry Rosemary Sage Strawberry Swiss cheese Turkey I was upset to see so many yummy foods on the list, including my go-to meat, turkey, and some of my usual spices. I was glad to see celery and onions, though. I’ve detested them for years and I always get laughed at for hating onions. Now I have a legitimate reason for hating them! I can live with this list. Well, I

What's Your Song? Thursday - Aug 18, 2011

Stressed out this week. Busy and exhausted. I've been singing Annie to keep myself happy. I like this video, because it's so interesting to see how Annie was cast over the years in various countries. Enjoy! Join the link-up at Amber's blog and checl out her giveaway!

What's Your Song? Thursday Link Up

This week has just been... rough. It started over the weekend. Mom and I spent a lot of time, money and effort in organizing my kitchen and cooking a ton of food. Sadly, cooking, as much as I love it, has become a major pain for me in the past couple of years, and even more so in the last 6 months. I have been dealing with a lot of back pain, and it is at the point where I cannot stand in one place for more than 10 minutes before I collapse in pain. And when I mean collapse, I'm not kidding. Knees hit the floor, tears start streaming down my face, and I lean on the object closest to me, hoping that the waves of pain along my spine will go away. Doctors have no idea what's wrong, x-rays don't show any problems, and the chiropractor claimed I had 4 pinched ligaments, but I can't afford to go to him twice a week to get adjustments (especially when the last time I went, I was in pain for a week afterwards). I did a lot of cooking while sitting down this weekend to ease the