Skip to main content

The child that never was

I've never written about this. I never thought I would. But I think it's time that I let it out - and I will try not to cry as I write it. It's a sad story, but I think that by letting it out, it will help me move on.

Before and after I was dx'ed with PCOS, I took pregnancy tests almost every month. If AF didn't show up, I was at Dollar Tree buying a test. In my heart I wished I would get two pink lines, but in my head I knew it wouldn't happen. So I did my best not to get my hopes up. But in late March of 2008, I got those two lines. I hadn't told Hubs I was taking a test because I saw the heartbreak in his eyes after every previous one.

I don't remember the topic of conversation when I walked into the living room that day. He was hanging out with a friend when I sat down on the couch. He asked me a question, and I responded with 'maybe in 8 or 9 months'. He was ecstatic. He couldn't believe it, and he was so happy. Then he laid his head in my lap, ear on my belly, and just listened. There were some tears of joy, and for the next few weeks we were blissfully happy. I started being careful with what I ate, taking prenatal vitamins, and quit smoking cold turkey.

Then April 13th happened. The pain was unlike any other PMS cramp I have ever had. I laid in bed, hoping that it would go away. I called my mom, crying because I was afraid that I wouldn't be pregnant much longer. I wanted so bad to snap my fingers and make the pain disappear. And Hubs. He laid in bed next to me, trying not to cry. He knew what was happening too. After several hours of pain that wasn't subsiding with any painkillers, we went to the hospital. I told them I was pregnant, and they whisked me back for testing. I begged them to let Hubs come back with me, but they wouldn't. When they took me in for an ultrasound, I went alone. I kept thinking this might be the only time we get to see our baby, and they won't let him stay with me. I cried the whole time. The woman doing the ultrasound wouldn't let me see the screen.

I was taken to another room to wait for the doctor. They finally let Hubs back to be with me. The doctor came in, with crappy bedside manner, and said 'You aren't pregnant. By the test results, you haven't been for at least a week.' I was diagnosed with abnormal uterine cramping and sent home. And I went numb, for days, if not weeks. The previous month we were so excited about the baby, and now we didn't have one. No more reasons to take care of myself. What's the point of prenatal vitamins without a baby? Why should I quit smoking if I'm not pregnant?

I will never know if I truly miscarried, or if I got a false positive on that pregnancy test. I don't believe it really mattered. Whether we were pregnant or not, it still hurt. That was 5 years ago. And not a day goes by when I don't think about that horrible day in April, the day I knew I lost my baby.

There are a lot of people that have never heard this story. A lot of the ones that do felt it was probably a good thing. But unless they've ever experienced anything like it, they won't know. They won't understand. They don't feel the heartbreak. We never got to name our child, as we lost it so early. It's just Baby. Our baby. The one we never got to see. The heartbeat we never got to hear. The toes and fingers we never got to count. The love we will never be able to show. The life that will never be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food Allergy Test Results

I was in for a surprise when I got my food allergy test results this past Wednesday. For the few days prior, my thoughts were wrought with fear that I may be allergic to garlic or nuts. I even started designing my garlic and nut super-villain tattoos. Thankfully those weren't on my list. The shock came with the 29 other items on my list! Moderate allergies Baker’s and brewer's yeast Pineapple Vanilla White mushroom Sensitivities Broccoli Buttermilk Carrots Casein Celery Cilantro Cinnamon Cod Dates Iceberg lettuce Kiwi Lamb Millet Onion Oregano Parsley Plum Potato Raspberry Rosemary Sage Strawberry Swiss cheese Turkey I was upset to see so many yummy foods on the list, including my go-to meat, turkey, and some of my usual spices. I was glad to see celery and onions, though. I’ve detested them for years and I always get laughed at for hating onions. Now I have a legitimate reason for hating them! I can live with this list. Well, I

What's Your Song? Thursday - Aug 18, 2011

Stressed out this week. Busy and exhausted. I've been singing Annie to keep myself happy. I like this video, because it's so interesting to see how Annie was cast over the years in various countries. Enjoy! Join the link-up at Amber's blog and checl out her giveaway!

What's Your Song? Thursday Link Up

This week has just been... rough. It started over the weekend. Mom and I spent a lot of time, money and effort in organizing my kitchen and cooking a ton of food. Sadly, cooking, as much as I love it, has become a major pain for me in the past couple of years, and even more so in the last 6 months. I have been dealing with a lot of back pain, and it is at the point where I cannot stand in one place for more than 10 minutes before I collapse in pain. And when I mean collapse, I'm not kidding. Knees hit the floor, tears start streaming down my face, and I lean on the object closest to me, hoping that the waves of pain along my spine will go away. Doctors have no idea what's wrong, x-rays don't show any problems, and the chiropractor claimed I had 4 pinched ligaments, but I can't afford to go to him twice a week to get adjustments (especially when the last time I went, I was in pain for a week afterwards). I did a lot of cooking while sitting down this weekend to ease the