Skip to main content

Starting a new business, and I need help with a name!

I'm so excited about this. I haven't been this excited in a long time. I love to bake. I've wanted to start a bakery, but here in Texas, that's been difficult. In order to run a bakery out of your home, you have to have a completely separate kitchen and storage facilities for your business. I understand the reasoning, but dang, really? I'd have no problem with a health inspector visiting my kitchen. I don't mind the licensing. But to either add a second kitchen to our home or rent a commercial kitchen? That requires a large financial investment - which I don't have. Thankfully, the Texas Senate understands. They passed SB 81, a.k.a. the Texas Baker’s Bill or Cottage Foods Bill. As of Sept 1, 2011 you can run a bakery out of your home - no license, no inspection, you can even have pets. The restrictions? You can't sell online, you can't sell at farmer's markets, and you can't make more than $50k a year. No problem. I can deliver in my area. Now the text actually says ''Sec. 437.0194.  SALES BY COTTAGE FOOD PRODUCTION OPERATIONS THROUGH THE INTERNET PROHIBITED. A cottage food production operation may not sell any of the foods described in Section 437.001(2-b)(A) through the Internet." This is all it says about internet sales. Through my interpretation, I can't take orders via the internet. However, I do believe I can take phone orders and receive payment via the internet. However, I am going to continue doing research to find out, because it's not clear, and I want it to be. I think by the time I need to really start working on out-of-town sales, I hope to be in a commercial kitchen so I won't have these restrictions.

Anyways, I said all that to say this. I'm opening my own bakery. It will be PCOS-friendly, obviously. Once I nail down the recipes, I'll be offering cakes, breads, muffins and other pastries, most of which, if not all, will be gluten-free. I know that gluten-free bakeries are trending right now, but I'm focused on making women with PCOS happy. I'll be staying away from corn, potato starch, white rice, and soy. I'll use farmer's market fruits (as much as I can). Healthier sugars like succanat, stevia and agave.

But I need a name. I've never been really good at coming up with names. Do you have any ideas? I'll take any suggestions!

For more info about the new bill: http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup/Text.aspx?LegSess=82R&Bill=SB81

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food Allergy Test Results

I was in for a surprise when I got my food allergy test results this past Wednesday. For the few days prior, my thoughts were wrought with fear that I may be allergic to garlic or nuts. I even started designing my garlic and nut super-villain tattoos. Thankfully those weren't on my list. The shock came with the 29 other items on my list! Moderate allergies Baker’s and brewer's yeast Pineapple Vanilla White mushroom Sensitivities Broccoli Buttermilk Carrots Casein Celery Cilantro Cinnamon Cod Dates Iceberg lettuce Kiwi Lamb Millet Onion Oregano Parsley Plum Potato Raspberry Rosemary Sage Strawberry Swiss cheese Turkey I was upset to see so many yummy foods on the list, including my go-to meat, turkey, and some of my usual spices. I was glad to see celery and onions, though. I’ve detested them for years and I always get laughed at for hating onions. Now I have a legitimate reason for hating them! I can live with this list. Well, I

What's Your Song? Thursday - Aug 18, 2011

Stressed out this week. Busy and exhausted. I've been singing Annie to keep myself happy. I like this video, because it's so interesting to see how Annie was cast over the years in various countries. Enjoy! Join the link-up at Amber's blog and checl out her giveaway!

What's Your Song? Thursday Link Up

This week has just been... rough. It started over the weekend. Mom and I spent a lot of time, money and effort in organizing my kitchen and cooking a ton of food. Sadly, cooking, as much as I love it, has become a major pain for me in the past couple of years, and even more so in the last 6 months. I have been dealing with a lot of back pain, and it is at the point where I cannot stand in one place for more than 10 minutes before I collapse in pain. And when I mean collapse, I'm not kidding. Knees hit the floor, tears start streaming down my face, and I lean on the object closest to me, hoping that the waves of pain along my spine will go away. Doctors have no idea what's wrong, x-rays don't show any problems, and the chiropractor claimed I had 4 pinched ligaments, but I can't afford to go to him twice a week to get adjustments (especially when the last time I went, I was in pain for a week afterwards). I did a lot of cooking while sitting down this weekend to ease the