Skip to main content

Impromptu Dinner Party!

Last Friday I decided to call up Talon and invite her, as well as Ooka and Starr, over for dinner. I was in the mood to cook, so I needed people to share it with. I apologize in advance for my poor food photography skills. I really need to work on that. Any recommendations how to take better food pics?


The Menu:
- Italian Mozzarella Meatballs
- Parmesan Pesto Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Garlic Mushrooms and Asparagus
- Beefy Quinoa
- Chocolate Covered Strawberries and Pineapple

Italian Mozzarella Meatballs
Ingredients
12 tbsp gluten free italian breadcrumb mix
2 lbs grass-fed, organic ground beef
1.5 cup ketchup
1 large free-range egg
1 cup shredded italian blend or mozzarella cheese

Directions
Pre-heat oven to 350. Mix all ingredients together. Using an ice-cream scoop, form the meat into balls and place on a large edged cookie sheet. Bake for 15 - 25 minutes, depending on the size.

Beefy Quinoa
My mom bought me a rice cooker last month, and I have fallen in love. Never again will I cook grains/seeds on the stove. But if you don't have a rice cooker, that's ok. Put 1 part quinoa into 2 parts beef broth in a large saucepan. Bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer until quinoa is cooked through - see picture for example. It's difficult to describe.

Parmesan Pesto Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Ingredients
1-2 pounds brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
2 tbsp EVOO
4 tbsp Parmesan Pesto Sprinkle from Savory Spice Shop
Optional: Parmesan cheese to taste

Directions
Pre-heat oven to 350. Toss brussels sprouts in olive oil and parmesan pesto seasoning and put mix into a baking dish. Roast for 15-25 minutes, stirring occasionally until brussels sprouts start to get crispy on the outside. Remove from oven and serve with optional extra parmesan cheese!

Garlic Mushrooms and Asparagus
Ingredients
1-2 pounds asparagus, washed and trimmed
1/2 pound cremeni mushrooms, washed and sliced
2 tbsp minced garlic
1 cup beef broth
2 tbsp EVOO

Directions
Saute garlic in large skillet on medium heat with EVOO. Add sliced mushrooms and saute until soft. Add asparagus and beef broth. Cover, reduce to medium heat and steam for 10-15 minutes, or until aspargus is cooked to your liking. (I like them just a little crunchy)



Chocolate Covered Strawberries and Pineapple
I melt my chocolate in the microwave. It's really easy to do, the trick is to do it slowly. Usually I fill a coffee cup halfway with dark chocolate chips, microwave for 40 seconds, stir. If it's not completely melted, add another 10-20 seconds in the microwave, then stir again. Keep doing this until chocolate is melted.

I chopped a pineapple into bite size chunks, sliced the tops off the strawberries, and arranged on a large pan.I spooned the melted chocolate into a sandwich bag, snipped off a small corner, ans piped the chocolate over the fruit. This is easier than dipping - especially with the pineapple. It is wet, so the chocolate doesn't stick very well. When piped, it does.

Everyone loved dinner that night, and of course dessert was the biggest hit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food Allergy Test Results

I was in for a surprise when I got my food allergy test results this past Wednesday. For the few days prior, my thoughts were wrought with fear that I may be allergic to garlic or nuts. I even started designing my garlic and nut super-villain tattoos. Thankfully those weren't on my list. The shock came with the 29 other items on my list! Moderate allergies Baker’s and brewer's yeast Pineapple Vanilla White mushroom Sensitivities Broccoli Buttermilk Carrots Casein Celery Cilantro Cinnamon Cod Dates Iceberg lettuce Kiwi Lamb Millet Onion Oregano Parsley Plum Potato Raspberry Rosemary Sage Strawberry Swiss cheese Turkey I was upset to see so many yummy foods on the list, including my go-to meat, turkey, and some of my usual spices. I was glad to see celery and onions, though. I’ve detested them for years and I always get laughed at for hating onions. Now I have a legitimate reason for hating them! I can live with this list. Well, I

What's Your Song? Thursday - Aug 18, 2011

Stressed out this week. Busy and exhausted. I've been singing Annie to keep myself happy. I like this video, because it's so interesting to see how Annie was cast over the years in various countries. Enjoy! Join the link-up at Amber's blog and checl out her giveaway!

What's Your Song? Thursday Link Up

This week has just been... rough. It started over the weekend. Mom and I spent a lot of time, money and effort in organizing my kitchen and cooking a ton of food. Sadly, cooking, as much as I love it, has become a major pain for me in the past couple of years, and even more so in the last 6 months. I have been dealing with a lot of back pain, and it is at the point where I cannot stand in one place for more than 10 minutes before I collapse in pain. And when I mean collapse, I'm not kidding. Knees hit the floor, tears start streaming down my face, and I lean on the object closest to me, hoping that the waves of pain along my spine will go away. Doctors have no idea what's wrong, x-rays don't show any problems, and the chiropractor claimed I had 4 pinched ligaments, but I can't afford to go to him twice a week to get adjustments (especially when the last time I went, I was in pain for a week afterwards). I did a lot of cooking while sitting down this weekend to ease the