Skip to main content

I will attempt to fulfill a New Year's Resoluton

(This is almost a month old, but I needed to post it anyway.)

So, New Year's has come and gone. I guess I'm supposed to make some resolutions? Typically I'd say my resolution was to not make any resolutions - therefore saving me from the inevitable failure later on in the year. But it would be childish of me, thus guaranteeing failure of the resolution I did come up with - to grow up. I'm certainly not 18 anymore, but I realized that sometimes I can still act that way. I'm 23 this year, and have not accomplished anything significant in my life. If you asked me 10 years ago what I expected of my life right now, I'd expect to be a stay at home mom with at least one child, a nice house and a nice car. My 13 year old self would kick my ass. Now, granted, I have run into some complications with my goals, but those are just road bumps along the path of life that I just need to get over. But instead of moving forward and getting past those speed bumps, I've just stopped. I'm just sitting here, idling.


One of my biggest hurdles has been the PCOS diagnosis. That was more of a wall that I ran face forward into. There is no way to get around this wall; I have to climb over it. I've had my fair share of ill-fated attempts at scaling this wall, but have never gotten close to succeeding in reaching the other side. This year, though, I'm making my biggest attempt at getting to the other side. I've often joked that I would lose weight if I had some incentive, such as money. Well, that's exactly what I've gotten myself into. I'm in a Weight Loss Challenge. The person that loses the most weight in 3 months gets $50. I know it's not a whole lot of money, but it's better than nothing. I'm going to start eating better. I've done really well with cutting back some carbs and sugars - I drink hot tea instead of soda, and when I eat pasta, it's whole wheat. I've done a lot better with this diet than I used to, but I still have a long way to go. I need to cut out carbs almost completely, as well as the sugars. I need to start exercising more as well. I did attempt yoga class - not just once, but twice, and realized that it wasn't something I was going to be able to continue until I lost a lot of weight. The poses that are used frequently in every class do not work well with the way I breathe. I have the dvds at home and I am going to continue working with them. I haven't used my home gym since we moved - but I will start again soon. It's currently in a closet because I had no room for it, but I will make room, and I will use it.

Recently I've done a lot to grow up. We have a health plan for illness, dental insurance, renter's insurance and car insurance. We have paid off bills instead of ignoring them. Yet I still feel as though I haven't done enough to be where I should be. My clothes still live on the floor, even though I have two closets and a dresser. I have 15 bags of clothes hidden in the stairway closet so I don't have to look at them - even though I have a washer and dryer and could get them cleaned, folded and in the closet. I could probably make a nice amount of money if I cleaned all the clothes and figured out what I didn't want or need anymore. I now have a dishwasher that works, and I've been using frequently, but still not enough.

I'm going to start a to-do list. I'm not going to let myself watch TV or get on Facebook until I finish the day's list. I can only hold myself accountable, and that's what I need to start doing. For so long I've made goals and told myself I can achieve them, but never forced myself to do it. I'd always say, "well, that can be done later." or "I'll get to it tomorrow." I've got to stop procrastinating.

So, my New Year's Resolution is to grow up. I've been doing a fairly good job, but not good enough. I'd say I'm more like a 19 year old than a 22 year old. I'm doing some of the things an adult should do, but not all of them. And I'm going to fix that. Because next year's resolution can't happen unless I succeed this year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food Allergy Test Results

I was in for a surprise when I got my food allergy test results this past Wednesday. For the few days prior, my thoughts were wrought with fear that I may be allergic to garlic or nuts. I even started designing my garlic and nut super-villain tattoos. Thankfully those weren't on my list. The shock came with the 29 other items on my list! Moderate allergies Baker’s and brewer's yeast Pineapple Vanilla White mushroom Sensitivities Broccoli Buttermilk Carrots Casein Celery Cilantro Cinnamon Cod Dates Iceberg lettuce Kiwi Lamb Millet Onion Oregano Parsley Plum Potato Raspberry Rosemary Sage Strawberry Swiss cheese Turkey I was upset to see so many yummy foods on the list, including my go-to meat, turkey, and some of my usual spices. I was glad to see celery and onions, though. I’ve detested them for years and I always get laughed at for hating onions. Now I have a legitimate reason for hating them! I can live with this list. Well, I

What's Your Song? Thursday - Aug 18, 2011

Stressed out this week. Busy and exhausted. I've been singing Annie to keep myself happy. I like this video, because it's so interesting to see how Annie was cast over the years in various countries. Enjoy! Join the link-up at Amber's blog and checl out her giveaway!

What's Your Song? Thursday Link Up

This week has just been... rough. It started over the weekend. Mom and I spent a lot of time, money and effort in organizing my kitchen and cooking a ton of food. Sadly, cooking, as much as I love it, has become a major pain for me in the past couple of years, and even more so in the last 6 months. I have been dealing with a lot of back pain, and it is at the point where I cannot stand in one place for more than 10 minutes before I collapse in pain. And when I mean collapse, I'm not kidding. Knees hit the floor, tears start streaming down my face, and I lean on the object closest to me, hoping that the waves of pain along my spine will go away. Doctors have no idea what's wrong, x-rays don't show any problems, and the chiropractor claimed I had 4 pinched ligaments, but I can't afford to go to him twice a week to get adjustments (especially when the last time I went, I was in pain for a week afterwards). I did a lot of cooking while sitting down this weekend to ease the