Skip to main content

A sick furbaby will kill your weekend plans.

This past weekend was, well, somewhat frightening. Saturday morning we woke up to find that half of Spike's face was swollen. As usual, Google scared the crap out of me so I started calling vets. I was worried because I have no extra money to visit a vet. Everywhere I called, I got the same response - we only take CareCredit, a credit card which I knew from previous experience, I didn't qualify for. So I called Dad. His dog is always sick (she's allergic to grass. Can you believe that?), so I figured he could help.

We determined 2 things - 1) Spike got bit on the nose by a bug. 2) There was something in our food that did not agree with him.

We cancelled all our plans for the weekend. To deal with the swelling, we got childrens benadryl and gave him really low doses all day Saturday. In the evening, when we figured out the food issue, we stopped giving him bites of our food. Of course he got to spend all day on the couch in my lap, while I cried off and on, worrying about what would happen in the next few days. Instead of sleeping in his kennel Sat night, he got to sleep with us. I wanted to make sure that if something was wrong, I'd know. Apparently he likes the floor better than our bed, because he can see out the window. Sunday, the swelling was gone, but he was still mopey. He spent all day on the couch with me, but was happy to go outside with Hubs. He slept with us again last night, just in case.

This morning I awoke to a very happy, bouncy, back-to-normal Spike, which relieved my fear that I could lose him. I've lost a dog before, and didn't want to go through it again. I'm so thankful I didn't have to. I was happy to give up my weekend to make sure spike got all the care he needed. If people do it for their human children, I see no reason why I can't do it for my furchild!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's Your Song? Thursday IS BACK!

I realized that I'm in desperate need of some tunage. I'm trying a 3-day juice fast, and I want it to go well, so I need to be in a good mood - esp. since I hate most of the veggies in the juice but I know they are good for me. I have some good news - I have lost enough weight to take the 'W's off the end of my pant size, and I had to buy new, SMALLER undies. YAY! The hubby is very excited about the pair decorated with sledding penguins lol. Here's my song - Dirty Laundry by Bitter:Sweet. Love this song!!! Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go dance with my dog and ignore all the dirty laundry that really needs to meet the washing machine :) Join us on this great link-up from Amber at Goodnight Moon !

Food Allergy Test Results

I was in for a surprise when I got my food allergy test results this past Wednesday. For the few days prior, my thoughts were wrought with fear that I may be allergic to garlic or nuts. I even started designing my garlic and nut super-villain tattoos. Thankfully those weren't on my list. The shock came with the 29 other items on my list! Moderate allergies Baker’s and brewer's yeast Pineapple Vanilla White mushroom Sensitivities Broccoli Buttermilk Carrots Casein Celery Cilantro Cinnamon Cod Dates Iceberg lettuce Kiwi Lamb Millet Onion Oregano Parsley Plum Potato Raspberry Rosemary Sage Strawberry Swiss cheese Turkey I was upset to see so many yummy foods on the list, including my go-to meat, turkey, and some of my usual spices. I was glad to see celery and onions, though. I’ve detested them for years and I always get laughed at for hating onions. Now I have a legitimate reason for hating them! I can live with this list. Well, I...

The Doctor... Doctor Who? A.K.A. Damn you, Netflix :)

Oh, the hardships of having no cable TV... We decided that we were paying way too much money for cable, when there were only a handful of channels we watched. Of course we couldn't get the basic cable, because it was missing half of the channels we wanted. So I cut it off completely. And I'm so glad I did. We upgraded our internet service, bought a year of Xbox Gold membership, and subscribed to Hulu Plus and Netflix. Although we have decided to cancel our Hulu subscription, we love Netflix. Hulu is great for current shows, but Netflix is awesome because we can watch an entire series. When it first came out, I LOVED Alias. It was a spy show starring Jennifer Garner. My mom and I used to watch it every week. But Hubs had never heard of it! Seriously, he lived under a mountain. At least when it came to TV. So we watched all 5 seasons of Alias. We decided that instead of watching various shows all at once, we would choose a series and watch it all before switching to a new show....