Skip to main content

Understanding

I was recently sitting outside with a neighbor, discussing life. I was explaining how RA and fibromyalgia have put a major damper on my life. Last year at this time I was making a killer salary, doing what I wanted to do, when I wanted to do it. When you lose the ability to normal things like write or hold a cup of coffee, it really sucks. When you realize that you spent an ungodly amount of money in college learning how to write computer code, then lose the ability to type, it's gut wrenching. When you love to cook, but can no longer stand up long enough to do it, it's devastating.

I didn't get a moment to explain my situation to this neighbor. Instead - she felt the need to berate me for feeling down and useless. She had breast cancer and to quote her, "I was puking every morning from chemo and I was still waiting tables every night. I had cancer and I was alone. Suck it up and go back to work."

I left the table as soon as the opportunity allowed. All I could think about the rest of the night was how lucky she was to be cancer-free. How I wish I had cancer, because then I'd at least know that at some point, whether I survived or died, there was an end to it. Because then it would seem bad enough that people would care. People would offer their well-wishes instead of telling me I'm lazy and useless. But that's not the way it is with me. I'm 24 and I have 4 life-long, non-curable, supposedly 'manageable' diseases. To put it simply - I am mentally and physically fucked. What horrible things I am putting in my body to manage these? Anti-cancer meds, steroids and pain-killers! In the last 7 years I have deteriorated considerably. At times my Wii Fit game has informed me that I am 70 years old. And I'm supposed to be the happy-go-lucky person I was a decade ago? One of the things that really bothers me is that I get sicker when I try to get better. I spent the last almost 2 years trying to better my life. Exercising, changing my entire lifestyle to eat healthier, quit smoking, stopped drinking, and what happened to me? I got worse. I didn't have RA and fibromyalgia 2 years ago, but I do now. I've often said I want to go back to my carb-eating, fat-ass days where I ate anything I wanted - because I wasn't physically sick then.

My illnesses are invisible. I don't look like I'm falling apart. But inside I'm a mess. I'm allergic to a ton of stuff, practically everything premade. I'm an unmedicated bipolar; so I can be'alive' and happy for periods, and deeply depressed for others. I used to remember everything. I used to be SMART. I need to eat, but the effort required to make food leaves me wihtout an appetite. Now I ache almost constantly, and most moving is uncomfortable. But you wouldn't know it by looking at me. I put on a happy face in public. I pretend to be normal as possible.

I know that there are other people dealing with much worse than me, and I understand that. And I'm not writing this because I need pity. I don't want pity. I just want understanding. I want my friends and family to spend just a few minutes of their time to read about what I'm going through. To really understand that this is real. To realize that a phone call or text to ask me how I'm doing could probably making my friggin' day.

Here are links to some great, short reading about the 4 illnesses I have.
Rheumatoid Arthritis: RA Guy's 60 Second Guide to RA
Fibromyalgia: http://www.faithfamilyfibro.com/2011/05/what-is-wrong-with-me.html
PCOS: http://www.sharecare.com/question/what-is-polycystic-ovarian-syndrome
Bipolar Disorder: http://www.helpguide.org/mental/bipolar_disorder_family_friends_support.htm

Comments

  1. Hey! Just followed you over here from your comment on my blog and have added your blog to my daily-ish to-read list. I am so sorry to see you are having to deal with so much. PCOS is bad enough without having other things compounding it! I have truly enjoyed reading your blog thus far and look forward to hearing from you in the future. I'm a southern girl myself going through some of the same stuff, pop on over if you need to vent!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What's Your Song? Thursday IS BACK!

I realized that I'm in desperate need of some tunage. I'm trying a 3-day juice fast, and I want it to go well, so I need to be in a good mood - esp. since I hate most of the veggies in the juice but I know they are good for me. I have some good news - I have lost enough weight to take the 'W's off the end of my pant size, and I had to buy new, SMALLER undies. YAY! The hubby is very excited about the pair decorated with sledding penguins lol. Here's my song - Dirty Laundry by Bitter:Sweet. Love this song!!! Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go dance with my dog and ignore all the dirty laundry that really needs to meet the washing machine :) Join us on this great link-up from Amber at Goodnight Moon !

Food Allergy Test Results

I was in for a surprise when I got my food allergy test results this past Wednesday. For the few days prior, my thoughts were wrought with fear that I may be allergic to garlic or nuts. I even started designing my garlic and nut super-villain tattoos. Thankfully those weren't on my list. The shock came with the 29 other items on my list! Moderate allergies Baker’s and brewer's yeast Pineapple Vanilla White mushroom Sensitivities Broccoli Buttermilk Carrots Casein Celery Cilantro Cinnamon Cod Dates Iceberg lettuce Kiwi Lamb Millet Onion Oregano Parsley Plum Potato Raspberry Rosemary Sage Strawberry Swiss cheese Turkey I was upset to see so many yummy foods on the list, including my go-to meat, turkey, and some of my usual spices. I was glad to see celery and onions, though. I’ve detested them for years and I always get laughed at for hating onions. Now I have a legitimate reason for hating them! I can live with this list. Well, I...

The Doctor... Doctor Who? A.K.A. Damn you, Netflix :)

Oh, the hardships of having no cable TV... We decided that we were paying way too much money for cable, when there were only a handful of channels we watched. Of course we couldn't get the basic cable, because it was missing half of the channels we wanted. So I cut it off completely. And I'm so glad I did. We upgraded our internet service, bought a year of Xbox Gold membership, and subscribed to Hulu Plus and Netflix. Although we have decided to cancel our Hulu subscription, we love Netflix. Hulu is great for current shows, but Netflix is awesome because we can watch an entire series. When it first came out, I LOVED Alias. It was a spy show starring Jennifer Garner. My mom and I used to watch it every week. But Hubs had never heard of it! Seriously, he lived under a mountain. At least when it came to TV. So we watched all 5 seasons of Alias. We decided that instead of watching various shows all at once, we would choose a series and watch it all before switching to a new show....