Skip to main content

Crunchy Green Goodness -Spicy Kale Chips!

I need more greens in my diet. I like salad, but it get boring quick. I never seem to have the right ingredients to make some awesome salads from a few of the other blogs I follow, like Leann's Cranberry Mango Millet Salad at Healthful Pursuit, and Gena's Sprouted Lentil Salad at Choosing Raw.

I have a hate/hate relationship with kale. I can't stand it raw, and my grandmother's recipe involves cooking it like collard greens until it's almost mush. I had high hopes for kale chips, but the last time I tried making them, it was a disaster. I had almost decided that I was never going to try them again. When I realized that the kale in my fridge was going to go bad if I didn't use it, and I was in desperate need of something crunchy, I gave in and gave it another go.

These turned out great. The ingredient list is really small, and it's a very simple to make. I started with Gena's recipe for Spicy Curry Kale Chips, and modified it to my liking. These certainly do not disappoint.


Spicy Kale Chips - Vegan, gluten-free, and can be made raw

> 1 cup cashews, soaked for at least 1 hour
> 1 head kale, washed, dried, de-stemmed and cut/ripped into bite-size pieces - the drying is SUPER IMPORTANT. I didn't do this last time, and that's why they came out terrible. I suggest letting them dry on paper towels while waiting for your cashews to soak.
> 1 tsp chili/cayenne powder (I used hot chimayo powder from Savory Spice Shop)
> 1 tsp garlic powder
> 1 pinch sea salt to taste
> 1/4 cup water

Using food processor/magic bullet/blender, blend cashews, chili powder and garlic powder with half the water. If it is still chunky or really thick, add more water. I love Gena's description - you are looking for a nut pate, thin hummus, but not runny. I used a magic bullet, so I just did the water and cashews, then stirred the spices in with a spoon. Add more chili powder if it's not spicy enough for you.

Massage into kale. Get them good and smothered in the cashew sauce. Lay covered kale out on cookie sheet and bake at 325 for 20 minutes or until crunchy. (They took 22 minutes in my oven.) These can be kept raw by using a dehydrator at 115 overnight instead of an oven.

Thankfully I had enough kale to make two pans full, so I could take before and after pics :) And I apologize for my crappy pictures. Oh what I would give to have food pics as awesome as Leann's!

These will definitely be heading to the park with us this afternoon for our anniversary picnic! We've been married 2 years today :)

Before:
After:

Comments

  1. Thanks for the recipe. A friend of mine had bought something just like these the other day - my first thought was "I could make these!" Based on the ingredients on the packaging, I think they use this recipe as well, with one addition: miso paste. I added it to mine and we'll see how they turn out. They're in the oven as I type!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What's Your Song? Thursday IS BACK!

I realized that I'm in desperate need of some tunage. I'm trying a 3-day juice fast, and I want it to go well, so I need to be in a good mood - esp. since I hate most of the veggies in the juice but I know they are good for me. I have some good news - I have lost enough weight to take the 'W's off the end of my pant size, and I had to buy new, SMALLER undies. YAY! The hubby is very excited about the pair decorated with sledding penguins lol. Here's my song - Dirty Laundry by Bitter:Sweet. Love this song!!! Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go dance with my dog and ignore all the dirty laundry that really needs to meet the washing machine :) Join us on this great link-up from Amber at Goodnight Moon !

Food Allergy Test Results

I was in for a surprise when I got my food allergy test results this past Wednesday. For the few days prior, my thoughts were wrought with fear that I may be allergic to garlic or nuts. I even started designing my garlic and nut super-villain tattoos. Thankfully those weren't on my list. The shock came with the 29 other items on my list! Moderate allergies Baker’s and brewer's yeast Pineapple Vanilla White mushroom Sensitivities Broccoli Buttermilk Carrots Casein Celery Cilantro Cinnamon Cod Dates Iceberg lettuce Kiwi Lamb Millet Onion Oregano Parsley Plum Potato Raspberry Rosemary Sage Strawberry Swiss cheese Turkey I was upset to see so many yummy foods on the list, including my go-to meat, turkey, and some of my usual spices. I was glad to see celery and onions, though. I’ve detested them for years and I always get laughed at for hating onions. Now I have a legitimate reason for hating them! I can live with this list. Well, I...

The Doctor... Doctor Who? A.K.A. Damn you, Netflix :)

Oh, the hardships of having no cable TV... We decided that we were paying way too much money for cable, when there were only a handful of channels we watched. Of course we couldn't get the basic cable, because it was missing half of the channels we wanted. So I cut it off completely. And I'm so glad I did. We upgraded our internet service, bought a year of Xbox Gold membership, and subscribed to Hulu Plus and Netflix. Although we have decided to cancel our Hulu subscription, we love Netflix. Hulu is great for current shows, but Netflix is awesome because we can watch an entire series. When it first came out, I LOVED Alias. It was a spy show starring Jennifer Garner. My mom and I used to watch it every week. But Hubs had never heard of it! Seriously, he lived under a mountain. At least when it came to TV. So we watched all 5 seasons of Alias. We decided that instead of watching various shows all at once, we would choose a series and watch it all before switching to a new show....